Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fellow Ducati pros (as if I were one myself .. :p )...

When replacing cans (or the entire exhaust flow) with or without an ECU, does this end up removing or replacing the Lambda Probes and do you lose the advantage of having them allow for real time oxygen mixing?

I'm not sure where they are actually housed... are they actually probes that stick into the exhaust system somewhere?

Hopefully I don't sound like too much of a mechanical newbie... I did work on my M750ie quite a bit, but never really thought about the probes until I ordered my new bike and began to think about someday replacing the exhuast (I'm not sure my old bike had probes?)...

TIA...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am no mechanic but just changed my pipes on my 1100s and and I believe the sensor is in front of the cans so that if you just use a slip on it is still in place. Maybe someone else can confirm for sure, but the cans removed very easy and there was nothing to indicate a sensor or electronics for the slip ons. I went with the Termi and I have not replaced the air filter or put the new ECU in and it runs much better than with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You are correct sir.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!! That is exactly what I needed to know. In all likelihood, I'll be going with Can's / ECU / Filter rather than a full exhaust replacement.

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the original sensor is operational, don't mess with it - you don't know where the new one came from. Also, there is no such thing as "universal" O2 sensor regardless of what the seller may claim. Each one has characterstics tuned to a particular vehicle. The only exception would be ford because they very well might have installed a "universal" part at the factory so you are unlikely to make it any worse.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify, my original question was to confirm that if I replaced the cans (or the whole exhaust) with a performance system, that I would not lose the advantage of the lambda probes that are referred to by Ducati as being a big deal in regard to controlling the air / fuel mixture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts