Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am on line at 7:50 ready to refresh the page to buy my tickets this morning, I refresh at 7:57 to check the site and BAM, it crashes. It is now almost 10:00, site still down, anybody get tickets yet? I guess I will just call.

It begins . . . . .

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
It pays to slack and wait till the last minute to buy your tickets... oh, and ride a motorcycle to/from the races. Yeah--I don't care if you have kids. Strap those little boogers to the back of the bike and motor on. [cheeky]

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Mostrobelle said:
It pays to slack and wait till the last minute to buy your tickets... oh, and ride a motorcycle to/from the races. Yeah--I don't care if you have kids. Strap those little boogers to the back of the bike and motor on. [cheeky]
great tips mostrobelle! if i'd have known then what i know now, i woulda:
1. rented a motorcycle to get to the track (i flew in for the GP)
2. brought an umbrella to get out of the sun
3. not worn a black dml t-shirt
4. hitched a ride back to Monterey (on the back of someone's bike)

don't get the wrong idea from my raggy post :)
seeing the GP for the first time was great! :)

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
A cold beer, comfy chair and TV are looking better and better....

I'm not surprised the site crashed. At least SCRAMP is consistent in their incompetence. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I was there in 88,89,90. Traffic sucked then, fifteen years later still F'd up. The only reason it subsided was people were fed up with GP and Seca, basically attendance was down.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
I guess I just haven't been to all that many of these types of events, but it doesn't seem all that bad to me... it's pretty disorganized and expensive, sure, but isn't that the norm for this type of thing? My only complaint this year was the heat, but SCRAMP wasn't to blame for that, were they? [laugh] Seems like a race atmosphere to me--sit in the dirt, eat overpriced, greasy food and hope that stuff happens kinda on time and that you might actually be able to leave the venue in under three hours once it's over. :D

I dunno...maybe elsewhere things go much more smoothly and I haven't had a chance to get spoiled yet. [cheeky] I've had a blast the past couple of years going to GP and can't wait to go again. I wouldn't complain if things were better, but they don't seem too bad. Am I just in complete denial? :)

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
I guess I just don't know much about these things...either I'm suuuuuuuper easy-going or hella tough or something. [laugh] I didn't mind anything too much during the past couple of years that I've gone to GP. I had a really good time. What's the problem? :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I stayed in Salinas and rode the free bus to the race. After all day in the hot sun, I didn't want to worry about how to get home. Nice, A/C'd bus was perfect.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
last year, we rode bikes. the bikes were caught in all the horrific traffic and got tickets for going around the cars. crap.

this year, we parked at the military base and took the bus in. AWESOME ride in. on the way out, we stood like lemmings in line in the beating sun without food/water/bathrooms for HOURS. people were dropping like flies before they finally figured out how to get the buses flowing more smoothly and some water handed out. i bet people sued.

next year, we're bringing an RV and parking it overlooking the corkscrew. at least that way if we're stuck in traffic, i can console myself with beer, eat, pee, cuss, watch motogp videos, whatever.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I enjoyed the whole event, its always been a crowded mess. Just part of it for me. I am happy I can ride 120 miles and be there. Sure it is very pricey,but there the best the world has to offer ... Water should never be for so much profit, even if its not a heatwave, that's just wrong ... If they would have not started complimetary water , there law firm would still be working late... BTW got my tickets/paddock pass/ turn 4 grandstand seats by 1:00 pm..well a friend did the work, he sits in front of a pc.... just counting the days now.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Also, does anyone else feel like the whole scene at Cannery Row was kind of ... creepy this year? :-\

I know I'm an old fart and all, but in years past it always seemed about the bikes and bikers. In 06 it felt more like spring break gone bad. Just a lot of drinking and morons bouncing their I4s off the rev limiter. Not so many interesting bikes to see either.

OK, I'm officially a curmudgeon, blathering on about the 'good old days'. There. I spared you all the effort of saying it. :p

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Michael Moore said:
Also, does anyone else feel like the whole scene at Cannery Row was kind of ... creepy this year? :-\

I know I'm an old fart and all, but in years past it always seemed about the bikes and bikers. In 06 it felt more like spring break gone bad. Just a lot of drinking and morons bouncing their I4s off the rev limiter. Not so many interesting bikes to see either.

OK, I'm officially a curmudgeon, blathering on about the 'good old days'. There. I spared you all the effort of saying it. :p
Like closing the Row to one way only, shutting vehicle entry onto Cannery Row early.
Remember camping on the infield, having to do a mandatory burnout before they would let you leave? Camping and a ticket was cheaper than just camping is now. The stunter crowd had much more presence this year, than past. We would stand right at the fence and hold out a beer for Kevin Schwantz as he went by. He would ackknowledge by acting like he was grabbing it. You could actually get that close to the racing.
Yes the "Good Old Days" now time for my Metamucil.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
You both need to "get a few more on board" before you hit Cannery Row. [laugh] Trussssst me....toss a few stiff drinks back and suddenly your overpriced room with no a.c. or t.v. (like mine) seems great and Cannery Row turns into Disneyland! [cheeky]

You guys aren't old--you're just sober. ;D

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Mostrobelle said:
You both need to "get a few more on board" before you hit Cannery Row. [laugh] Trussssst me....toss a few stiff drinks back and suddenly your overpriced room with no a.c. or t.v. (like mine) seems great and Cannery Row turns into Disneyland! [cheeky]

But somebody has to keep Jeff out of jail! Although at least this year he was able to stand on his own... [laugh] [laugh]

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Mostrobelle said:

That mean your buyin?
I would probably enjoy it more if I didn't take the wife. I have never seen someone need so much sh*t for 3 days. Plus she won't ride up, that's the times I enjoyed the most, even with the speeding tickets.
To keep Jeff upright, we could always duct tape him to a pole or something.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Michael Moore said:
Cannery Row makes me sad. Cuz I thought Torque was just a movie.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts