Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and his wife would like to sign up for a track day @ Laguna Seca with a local provider but is worried about the noise restrictions. He has a 749S w/ full Termi system (not really that loud IMO) and would like NOT to have to reinstall his stock exhaust for the track day.

Any ways "around" this? Backing odd the throttle in the specific areas they monitor for noise? Suggestions?

Thanks...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Look for a set of aftermarket baffles to insert into the end of the cans. That'll cut the noise down. But I don't know how much that will help. It all depends on what the allowable noise level is and how they test the bikes for noise compliance.

I read on another board that a track one of the member's runs at will only allow you on the track if you have the stock exhaust. Don't know how they determine what the stock exhaust is for each bike. But the cans on the Monsters are usually stamped with the db level and some DOT markings for road use. After market cans say RACE USE ONLY. So it all depends. A can labled RACE USE ONLY won't be allowed on the track.

Best bet is to check with the organizers of the track day. They'd, along with the track, would have the final say. So I'd make sure I met their criteria before showing up to run.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What group is sponsoring the track day? I've been surfing the sites of the groups I used to do and they seem to now say NO aftermarket exhausts, i.e., the won't even let you out on the track. They used to let you out and if you got black flagged you just had to swap out your exhaust for stock, but now it appears the big schools won't even let you do that. I noticed that PTT appears to let you try.

If they let you out with aftermarket, all you need to do is short shift up the hill between 5 and 6, because the shack they do the sound test from is right there by the bridge. I have to tell you it's a really tough place to bring yourself to short shift though, because it's up hill and it leads to an oddish left hander where you really want to make sure you have some rhythm going when you hit it. I made it half a day short shifting my first track day there, but just couldn't control myself and got flagged. I had to switch back to my stock can and from then on I've always ran stock there. For me it was a ground clearance issue because I was putting the can down in 3, 4 and 10.

BTW a full Termi exhaust will not make it past the sound police at Laguna.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Or move to Alabama and race at Barber

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's with Keigwins. Not sure if Lance's outfit prohibits non-stock exhausts but the track will be the one policing for noise. I think short-shifting in 5/6 is the "ticket" (pardon the pun).

I heard they (Laguna Seca) will move the sound equipment to another area of the track if they suspect riders are "cheating the system". I wonder if there is any validity to this?

Thanks...

Archimedes said:
What group is sponsoring the track day? I've been surfing the sites of the groups I used to do and they seem to now say NO aftermarket exhausts, i.e., the won't even let you out on the track. They used to let you out and if you got black flagged you just had to swap out your exhaust for stock, but now it appears the big schools won't even let you do that. I noticed that PTT appears to let you try.

If they let you out with aftermarket, all you need to do is short shift up the hill between 5 and 6, because the shack they do the sound test from is right there by the bridge. I have to tell you it's a really tough place to bring yourself to short shift though, because it's up hill and it leads to an oddish left hander where you really want to make sure you have some rhythm going when you hit it. I made it half a day short shifting my first track day there, but just couldn't control myself and got flagged. I had to switch back to my stock can and from then on I've always ran stock there. For me it was a ground clearance issue because I was putting the can down in 3, 4 and 10.

BTW a full Termi exhaust will not make it past the sound police at Laguna.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Rick T. said:
I heard they (Laguna Seca) will move the sound equipment to another area of the track if they suspect riders are "cheating the system". I wonder if there is any validity to this?
I never saw them do that when I've done TDs there, but it would make sense. Every time I did a DP school there, the A group was half-filled with full on race bikes that sounded like holy hell going down the front straight but then tiptoed up the hill past the sound check. I always thought that was a joke.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Last time I was at Laguna it was a three-strikes rule. There is only one sound booth on the right side after turn 5, so what people do is short shift and stay to the left. But since it's a cinch to swap the pipe on the R6, I usually just put the stocker on.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I didn't trigger it with my 749R full termi system.

Granted, I was going REALLY slow that day due to a number of factors (including slicks+rain).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts