Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is scrapin your boot in a curve a fact of life with the 696 and it's overall height? I've gotten used to putting my toes on the pegs and resting my heels on the swingarms during twisties, highway cruising and my preferred way to stay tucked on windy days. It's a comfortable position for me to stay in for a while (I'm 5'6").

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you're dragging your toes, then you probably aren't getting your butt off the seat. Good rider position solves all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There was a similar thread on another forum recently... The rider (on an '09 696) was scraping the kickstand on the track. Simple solution: remove kickstand on track days.

But the rider went on to stiffen the suspension to help with the peg clearance.

But, yeah, get off the saddle so the bike can stand up more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the cluelessness, but how does getting my rear off the seat help me stop scraping my boots on a curve? Assuming I leavw my feet in the standard position on the pegs with the arch over the peg. Moving the balls of my feet to the pegs fixes my problem but don't understand your recommendations nor the technique to accomplish it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Exactly how long have you been riding?

I suggest getting Keith Codes Twist of a Wrist, and or go to a track day.

If you haven't seen someone drag their knee, then you wouldn't understand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Puchika,

The technique is called "hanging off" or "knee sliding". The issue is that you've got to get your bike to turn with less "lean angle". You've got to move the combined center of gravity (you + your bike) toward the center of the turn.

Have you watched sportbike racing? Watch the racers in the turn; they're essentially hanging onto the bike with their outside knee - hanging off the bike - so the bike doesn't have to lean as much. Think of the bike a centrifuge... it wants to stand up. So you've got move the center of gravity (towards the turn) to get it to turn at high speeds.

Chapter 15 in MSF's "Motorcycling Excellence", 2nd edition.

Do you have access to advanced riders in your area? Check out a group ride with some sportbikers if you have to... They'll snub you riding a monster, but fack it!

We're here to help! But you've got to get some coaching (somehow: track days, mentor, books, etc). You're ready to take your ride to the next level.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
There are two options when making a tight turn on a motorcycle.

1. lean the bike into the turn and let your body stay upright (good for slow turns)
2. lean your body into the turn (hanging off the bike) and let the bike stay upright (best for higher speed turns)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts