Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright do you have to mess with jetting when you put on a kn airfilter? is there any adventage to going with a kn airfilter on a carbed '01 750.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
allright do you have to mess with jetting when you put on a kn airfilter? is there any adventage to going with a kn airfilter on a carbed '01 750.
1. yes. even more so if you mod the airbox by removing snorkels or cutting the top
2. only if you change the jetting too

G

·
I also have a 01 M750. after break-in it began to run extremely lean. California-emissions in Texas suks. I had them dyno after installing a jet kit and kn filter (no airbox mods)

specs on brochure show 62hp/44.8 ft lbs

after jet kit and filter 54.6hp at wheel/44.1ft lbs

add Sil high mount race pipes 58hp at wheel/45.8ft lbs

I have not modified anything else however I am considering sprocket changes.

Have you made any other modifications?

G

·
Are you happy with the 14 tooth front sproket. What benifits did it provide and is it an easy do-it-yourself kinda project (don't like wasting money).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
definitly throw a 14t on, takes 30mins, if you have any mechanical skills, and the difference is amazing. way smoother around town and easier to wheelie. there is a little trick to doing it, i will try to elaborate if you decide to do it. you can buy the sprocket for $30 from ca-cycleworks.com and i will tell you with out a doubt you will never have a mod be as benficial an relation to the price period. unless of course you put on the 3rd eye bicycle mirrors which are like $10 but that is a different story

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
dicatistajoe wrote:
>allright do you have to mess with jetting when you put on a kn airfilter?
>is there any adventage to going with a kn airfilter on a carbed '01

1. yes. even more so if you mod the airbox by removing snorkels or cutting the top
2. only if you change the jetting too
I'm not so convinced... I seem to remember a discussion on the list a long time back where someone claimed that a K&N didn't flow any better than the (apparently very well designed) stock Ducati paper filter, at least while the paper filter is new/clean. I can't track it down in my archives, but google found this for me:

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/fimfaq.html#q6

I think the main advantage of the K&N is that its cleanable/reuseable - thats why I put mine on, it cost me about 20% more than a new paper one from the local Ducati ppl, and its (hopefully) that last one I'll ever need to buy for it.

If you're losing the snorkel or modding the airbox lid, you'll probably need to re-jet, but if you're just swapping out the filter for a reuseabe K&N, I'd be _very_ surprised if it made enough difference to bother tweaking the carbs...

If you've got a local friendly dyno guy with an exhaust gas probe, see if you can convinve him to let you do a before/after run - I'd _love_ to find out if I'm right or wrong...

:)

big

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for that post, thats what i wanted to know. yeah i am not doing it for performane but maintnance as well. so you did no jetting with yours?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'm not so convinced... I seem to remember a discussion on the list a long time back where someone claimed that a K&N didn't flow any better than the (apparently very well designed) stock Ducati paper filter, at least while the paper filter is new/clean. I can't track it down in my archives, but google found this for me:

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/fimfaq.html#q6

I think the main advantage of the K&N is that its cleanable/reuseable - thats why I put mine on, it cost me about 20% more than a new paper one from the local Ducati ppl, and its (hopefully) that last one I'll ever need to buy for it.

If you're losing the snorkel or modding the airbox lid, you'll probably need to re-jet, but if you're just swapping out the filter for a reuseabe K&N, I'd be _very_ surprised if it made enough difference to bother tweaking the carbs...

If you've got a local friendly dyno guy with an exhaust gas probe, see if you can convinve him to let you do a before/after run - I'd _love_ to find out if I'm right or wrong...

:)

big
the above is correct. opening the airbox requires jetting. opening the airbox also requires a KN or similar filter. the paper filter won't like rain.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
thanks for that post, thats what i wanted to know. yeah i am not doing it for performane but maintnance as well. so you did no jetting with yours?
Yep, I put the K&N in at the 10,000km service, and ran it like that for the next 50,000km. Then I put Staintune cans on and cut open the airbox lid and rejetted it.

big

G

·
Street use: The snorkles and the air box lid helps to compress the incoming air as well as creating less turbulance inside the air box. and keeping water and dirt out. You may find that it works better leaving the air box as / is and just use a racing filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts