Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: If I install in my '04 M1000s.i.e. what the DP Catalogue calls "Plus High carbon kit for Monster from MY 2002 onward", which is an "upgrading kit complete with Racing oval raised silencers and high-efficiency air filter" kit #96423002BA, what other modifications will be necessary for a smooth operating bike? For instance, do I need to jack with the fuel injection settings, and if so, how best to do that? And, where does one find pricing for these sorts of kits? Is there a downloadable pdf from DP?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You will need to cut the airbox lid. Then you will need to remap the stock ECU (Ducati shop for around 60+) or by a Power commarder III (300+ I think) and map it yourself.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I was looking at the same kit for my '03 620. Both Ducati service guys in my area told me the kit is a direct bolt on. There is no need for a new map. The kit is designed to work within the adjustment range of the stock EFI. That kit comes with an open box lid so you won't need to do any cutting.

I asked about needing to re-map the EFI since that is what I've read needs to be done when you open the air box. Both guys said it is a Ducati kit and will work with stock map. It can be tuned with the mathesis. That is why the kit doesn't come with a new ECU. It isn't supposed to be necessary.

Now, that is just what I heard from the service guys in my area. I haven't got my kit yet so I can't tell you how accurate the info is. But I trust they guys I deal with....

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
The only "tuning" that can be done on the new ECU (5.9) is adjusting the trim. The rest of the map remains the same.
The othe options for correctin the FI are the PCIII and the Ultimap (ive get one of these for my 620)

R

·
0 Posts
I think Doug Lofgrens comments are worth noting here...
Different ECU but I believe the tuning issues remain.
"The ST2 still uses the 1.6M computer. The technology is more than 25 years old. The real question is; why doesn't everyone have the capability to re-map that? I've had that capability for 8 or 9 years, but it is useless without the other tools to find out what the air/fuel ratio is. Surprisingly, all of the bikes with 1.5M, that I've put on the dyno, have been way too rich at idle. I don't know if they come that way or they have been adjusted that way by someone who hasn't determined what the idle A/F actually is, but it points out that the tools (like the Mathesis tester, which can adjust the idle mixture) are not enough to do a good job. The answer to the question about which direction to turn the trim pot? I don't remember because I only adjust it when looking at the A/F ratio. I adjust it to an acceptable level. If you don't check your starting point, adjustment is just a guess. The idle fuel mixture should respond with the old fashioned 'best idle' concept. Everyone assumes that the stock mapping is good. As Gary said, even Techlusion proponents claim that. It is an erroneous assumption. It's wrong. Incorrect! I have looked at hundreds of maps with the bikes on the dyno. They ain't that hot! The mapping can be fixed in the computer, no external hocus-pocus. The fuel injection thing has progressed from the time when most people had their head in the sand to the phase where people are now claiming they can do fuel injection even though they can't. Until it progresses to the point where they actually can do something, these problems will be a plague. I shouldn't post this, but it's ridiculous. The ST2 uses obsolete technology and nobody understands it."

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
As it was presented to me the kit was from Ducati to be used on their stock bikes, with original EFI map, and could be tuned by a Ducati tech on the mathesis.

Now, having said that, it is not to say it wouldn't run better with PCIII or some other form of remapping. I'm sure a better map and/or dyno tuning would improve things a good bit. It was just said that it would run pretty much like stock and wouldn't void the warranty. Now, how good is the stock map? That is a whole different story.

My plan was as Retro stated. Let the dealer tune it to see how it runs. I could always add the PC later......

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are these my only options?

a. TFi-1025 TFi Box V-Twin Motorcycles $189.95
b. 717-411 PC IIIusb $332.00 (no maps available for my bike)
c. Ultimap disables the immoblizer (which I want)
d. Remap the stock ECU (is this the same as tuning it with the mathesis?)
e. Do nothing (install new low restriction air filter & exhaust but do not touch FI)

Please keep in mind I have an '04 M1000DS; options may not be the same as for 620, 800, etc., etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cost notwithstanding, FIM disables the immobilizer (which I want). So, Ultimap/FIM is not a viable option, unless I can use the FIM to remap and then somehow re-enable the immobilizer, which I do not know is possible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My fault. My statement was not correct.

I want the immobilizer functional (not disabled). Therefore, if my understanding is correct, FIM/Ultimap is not a workable solution since it disables the immobilizer.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The kit will be OK with just an adjustment using an Exhaust Gas Analyzer. A power commander will optimize it, but not necessary. The 4-valve monsters do need a power commander or computer change to run correctly.

R

·
0 Posts
I have to disagree, it may also not be okay......
I would love to hear why 4V engines need a power commander or computer change to run correctly, and seemingly the 2V does not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts