Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the course. First track I've ever been on, and it was an awesome experience. Code tought some basic points, but for whatever reason, be it the track or whatever, it seemed to stick really well with me. At the end of the day I was able to lap the track and be very comfortable leaning the bike over and having higher corner speeds than I ever thought I'd be comfortable at.

I give it an A1 thumbs up, and now I want to do level 2, and get up on some track days. That track was pretty nice it seemed like..my fastest time was a 2:10..which is REALLY REALLY REALLY slow, but it was a really smooth and comfortable 2:10. Turn 3 at Streets of Willow follows a pretty long downhill run and that was causing FEAR the first time I took it, that could have been because we had to run the track and not use any brakes. But by the end of the day it was cake, so I'll give the lessons learned at the school the credit for that. Good stuff, since the thing I hate the most about riding now is downhill turns I feel I might have gotten "over it". Turn 3 ended up being my FAVE corner at the track.

BTW it was an equally amazing experience getting back on a Jap 4. It was often hard to even imagine there being a motor IN THE BIKE, there was so little engine breaking and it revvved up SOOOOO fast and smooth. The bike (Kawi 636) was amazingly light feeling and super quick to change directions. It put in my head, VERY SOLIDLY, the idea that my Monster is not a supersport bike. I'll probably take it to level 2 when I go back, so that I can get a feel doing what I learned on the bike I ride everyday.

And someone please talk me out of finding a cheap used J I-4 to buy for track days.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I forgot about the "no brakes" exercise - amazing what that kind of ride can do for you in terms of judging speed, etc. One thing I noticed about the Kawis (I, too, used their bike in Level 1) was that there wasn't much engine braking. I had to cheat and use the brakes the first few turns because I was simply going way to fast.

That said, I thought Code's instruction left a lot to be desired. Admittedly, I've been to a lot of track events and had a lot of instructors (most of it four-wheel), and I was not impressed with Code himself. I had an on-track instructor named Cobie (sp?) Fair that was really good, however, and helped make up for the classroom.

Would I go back? Not sure. I did Freddie Spencer's 3-day school about 4 months after Code and was blown away by how good it is. On a "per unit" basis cost isn't much different, and the value was well worth it.

I do like SOW as a track, however! Turn 3 is fun as is that back "bowl."

Mark

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree about Code himself, I think what he is telling you is good, but how he presents it is a bit "odd". At times he looked lost. A few people asked questions and his answers seemed to contradict something he just said. I knew what he "MEANT" but the person asking the questions may have not.

I thought about those Kais more, and I realized that I use the Engine breaking on my Monster to "feel" what gear I'm in. This may or may not be totally a stupid way to do things. But on that kawi, the difference between gears was not apparent to me when downshifting. Was I goind from 5-4-3, or was I going frmo 4-3-2...no clue :-D

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Dude - you're right on about that self-contradictory thing - I had forgotten that! He also would make self-evident statements sometimes (i.e., the right lean angle is the angle which is right, etc.).

I am jonesing to go back to the track one of these days...

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts