Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it was 70 deg today so i went riding all day.
stopped and used my kickstand 5 times. When i put her away in the gerage i put the stand down and the bike went down? what happened was the bolt hole casting blew appart and then stripped out the second bolt from the weight. what i need, i think. is a extention plate to the outer two holes?
can anyone give me a hand.
the stand is fine. i just need to re-mount it somehow.
i just bought this bike last month a used 99 M750 and put 200miles on it.

thanks for any help.
Kevin R.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Wow... That's unfortunate. :(

A proper repair would be to take the bike to a good Aluminum welder to have him/her weld up the hole, and then drill and tap it again for the stock bolt. The bracket could work and I've heard of people doing that... But the proper repair should be your final solution IMO.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I recently fixed one of these. Welded the broken aluminum part back in. Used a thread insert to properly thread it. Welded a small aluminum plate from the top of the broken cast part to the chain sprocket area above as a reinforcement. No problems since.

As for the cause of it? Two primary methods: 1) bike was transported with the kickstand down for an extended period of time; 2) bike was "pivoted" on the kickstand to turn the bike around (common to do but not smart to do with a Ducati as this is a known side effect)

·
Registered
555 Posts
#1 cause for case failure at the side stand bolt? not having the bolt tight in the hole. it is very common to see ducatis with loose sidestand bolts. once one is loose the other is taking all the weight.
If you noice your bike is leaning over more than normal be sure to check your sidestand bolts.
I always red loctite any sidestand bolts that I find loose. were either of your bolts bent?

have the cases repaired as everyone has said and you will be fine.
good luck

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Superleggera said:
bike was "pivoted" on the kickstand to turn the bike around (common to do but not smart to do with a Ducati as this is a known side effect)
I admit I used to do this with my street bike....occasionally....and then I noticed I had a good amount of play with that bolt in that hole so I had to use a Time-Sert thread repair on it...drilled out the rest of the thread...tapped it...and put in a steel thread insert....so when I got my track bike and saw the casing cracked and the JB Weld that the previous owner had packed in there started to crack away as his temporary cover-up/fix...I immediatly knew what I had to do....so now both of my bikes have a steel thread insert in the kickstand bolt hole......no longer though will I pivot it on the kickstand unless I really really have to for some reason!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Just make a steel plate that reaches the 2 good hole & mount your kickstand to that. Get some 3/16" of 1/4" plate from Home Depot of Lowes. Use the longest bolts you can, to get a good bite.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Is your kickstand mount steel or alloy?

I have several if you need one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys this is a great site.
im hoping to get to meet and ride with some of you this summer.
OK back to my problem.
The kick stand it self is fine. The bolts are not bent but some stripped threads.
here is a jpg of the holes. by the way what are the other 2 holes for anyway.
could i buy a 900 kick stand and use the other 2 holes? i think they use the same casing?

thanks
Kevin R.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Oh Jeez, the engine casting is broken, I thought you ment the pivot bolt hole. Youre going to have to go with Marks (Superleggra's) advice and weld the broken boss and install a threaded insert.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
That's a really common problem with Duc motors. It doesn't matter what holes you use as long as the kickstand works, some are designed to use the other holes. Again, you can just plate it & be done with it.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I've used a plate on an SS that had the same damage, worked just fine, but if you're anal, welding would be the best bet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts