Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Close call today, from some experinced point of view, what is the best way to get rid of the spring loaded kick stand.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the spring wraps around a "post" that juts out from the bolt that secures the side-stand mount, right? grind the "post" off.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good, this site rocks. It is definately making riding a monster much enjoyable.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the spring wraps around a "post" that juts out from the bolt that secures the side-stand mount, right? grind the "post" off.
I don't think you really want to do that, b/c since your Kick Stand is retractable, If you take this feature off and you ride off w/ the stand down you can get catapulted off when you make a left turn.

I'm assuming your about 5'6 or under. I'm 5'5 and I had this same problem when I first got my bike. It would take me about 5-6 times before I could get the stand down and get off. I started dismounting and just putting the side stand down that way.

BUT what you want to do is put the side stand down w/ your toes at the base of the stand and in one motion lean the bike. You may not get it at first but after a couple attempts it'll just become natural. Practice makes perfect. And I always make sure after I dismount that the side stand is fully extended, just for precautionary reasons.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I don't have a spring loaded side stand, but if I did, I'd disable it. I think it's a wash between riding off with it down and 'parking' the bike with it up (which I think is what kwatchi was alluding to). I have the side stand interlock disabled...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry to be stupid, but I'm not sure what the problem is. kwatchi, what exactly was your close call, and how did the spring loaded kick stand cause it ?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to be stupid, but I'm not sure what the problem is. kwatchi, what exactly was your close call, and how did the spring loaded kick stand cause it ?
your s4R doesn't have a springloaded stand. it's got a killswitch instead that kills the engine if you put it into gear with the stand down. before that idea was implemented, ducati's had side stands that were sprung so that when you stood the bike up, the stand would automatically retract.
great idea except if somebody nudges your bike, the stand flips up (quickly!) and the bike proceeds to take a nap on its side.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I had the spring return.

I was terrified that some yahoo would pose on the bike sometime while it was parked somewhere and drop the bike on dismounting because the stand was up.

I disabled mine.

I planted it a couple of times ;D

So I decided to cultivate the habit of raising the stand AS SOON as I straddle the bike, regardless of whether I'm ready to take off or not. It's worked. The habit seems ingrained and no more aluminum plants.

·
Registered
413 Posts
your s4R doesn't have a springloaded stand. it's got a killswitch instead that kills the engine if you put it into gear with the stand down. before that idea was implemented, ducati's had side stands that were sprung so that when you stood the bike up, the stand would automatically retract.
great idea except if somebody nudges your bike, the stand flips up (quickly!) and the bike proceeds to take a nap on its side.
Yikes !!! Now I get it !!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
monstrono sells stand kits that only kill the engine if it's not in Neutral... $25
It's on my wish list of things to get soon. I'd like to warm up my bike BEFORE putting on my gear, etc.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
monstrono sells stands that only kill the engine if it's not in Neutral... $25
It's on my wish list of things to get soon. I'd like to warm up my bike BEFORE putting on my gear, etc.
What is monstrono? I want one of those too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts