Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
it is all a matter of perspective. what do you consider 'fast'? is it pinning the throttle on the freeway? in that regard motorcycle matters. if you are talking about bike control and rider skill on a technical road then rider always matters over machine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Keeping up with a sportbike, I'm on a Ducati Monster, who the hell cares. I'm the sun in my motorcycling world.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Hell it's gone now. Another thread had a link to a Duc video contest. One of the vids was on the track w/ an anouncer going nuts (in Italian of course). A monster passed what looked like an MV. If you know how to ride, anything is possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
Hell, you can buy gixxer pieces on amazon.
I wonder if the parts on mine have been sold yet. My 2006 GSX-R was stolen 4 weeks ago, I'm guessing it is now on a far away race track with the plastics and other useless race track accessories up for sale on ebay. I've owned a 2004 Monster S4R before that and traded it in for the gixxer because of maintenance costs and the type of riding I do (I basically beat the hell out of my bike in the mountains every chance I get), I have to say I was faster in the mountains on the gixxer then I was the Monster, but I could have made some basic modifications to the S4R that would have really helped. The main thing the gixxer had going for it that made me go faster was it's weight and the confidence it gave me. I could simply flick it from side-to-side faster, and the built-in steering damner really helped with the head shake. However I missed the engine from the Duc. The low end torque is really helpful for mountain riding, which is why I will probably switch back to a Ducati. However I will most likely get a sports classic 1000, or a used 999/749, or the new 1098/748. As I learned from the S4R there are just too many changes I have to make with a monster to make it right for me, and the price adds up quick. I'd probably get an S2R1000, then I'd have to buy a $1300 arrow exhaust (I hate the exhaust canister under the engine), then I'd have to buy a $300 set of clip ons, then I'd need a $400 Steering damner, and a $100 fender eliminator. While I love the way the monsters look, that's just too much money to sink into it basically just to turn it into a naked super bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That Nice Guy Beck said:
zx 14 is sick on the twisties!
haha....funny.

You know, we were stopped at a gas station once and some guy walked up to us and asked us "where are all the busa's at?". I just kind of looked at funny because he obviously didn't know shite about riding. It's amazing the difference in the type of people you meet when ridding a Suzuki opposed to a Ducati. When ridding the Ducati it seemed like the only people to talk to me were middle aged white family guys wishing they could trade places with me, with the Suzuki it was always umm, lets just say the younger less educated crowd.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The thing about the monster is that you *can* do all that to the bike if you want to but you don't have to. Any time you're thinking you need to "keep up" should be a red flag though dude, I've ridden plenty of bikes including an '06 Gix 7 and an '05 Gix 1k and they're amazing bikes but I don't think I'd ever buy one (maybe for track duty) because you just can't use all that power on the street. When you're talking about flickability, yeah, a lighter bike, with a shorter wheelbase and a steeper rake will always flick better but can you actually use it? Does it really matter? I know a lot of guys that ride gixers and busas and stuff and whenever they ride my bike (S2R 800) they comment on how easy it is to ride, the bars, the weight and the geometry of the bike all contribute to that. You can change the bike to be a naked SBK if you prefer that but the monster is the way it is for a reason.

For the record, I've had all that stuff done to my bike, I went back to a handle bar, the difference really wasn't significant enough. The major difference was the look. Each to their own though mate, as other people have said, it's the rider, not the machine that makes the difference.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts