Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

keeping it simple. what monsters have two piston callipers

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Dvy3178 
#1 ·
The s2r 800 left the factory with some less exciting components. i have been replacing them over the years.
now i have reached the brakes. i love this bike and have spoiled it rotten.
2007 803cc aircooled 380 pounds, Power/weight ratio:0.4395 HP/k 76.0 HP & Torque:72.6 Nm.
2x300 mm brakes
this is no sport bike, this is not touring bike, it is a city bike and I would never see any benefit by upgrading soi have decided to keep the stock two piston callipers. they work. but the masters dont exactly say sexy. what i am looking to learn is what other monsters use two piston callipers and have nicer looking master and matching clutch master.
thank you.
unless i misunderstood, masters from a bike that runs four pistons is a mistake. the master overwhelms the wee brake and the lights touch could lock up the wheel. great for stoppies but sucky in traffic.

See less See more
#2 ·
You must not ride in a very busy city or you’d be wanting to improve the brakes.
The selection of Ducatis using single(?) 2 piston calipers is pretty short. Lower priced entry level models. They don’t come with sexy looking front masters. I suppose since it’s a matter of taste you should try the one you like the looks of and put harder pads on if it throws you over the handlebars.

#8 ·
You must not ride in a very busy city or you’d be wanting to improve the brakes.
The selection of Ducatis using single(?) 2 piston calipers is pretty short. Lower priced entry level models. They don’t come with sexy looking front masters. I suppose since it’s a matter of taste you should try the one you like the looks of and put harder pads on if it throws you over the handlebars.
Halifax Nova Scotia canada is a coastal community. it does have one of the worlds deepest harbours, home to two shipping ports unniversities etc etc. modern meets sophisticated hillbillies and yet less than 200.000 folks in the area known as great halifax. our wee little province has the highest ownership per capita in all of canada. and finally yes as safe to ride in as reasonably expected. oh lane splitting is illegal and scooters dont jump the queue at the lights or stops.

#4 ·
He, or someone else, asked this same question a few days ago, and got some answers.
Mainly, the SportClassics had the two-piston calipers, since their spoked wheels didn't fit well with the larger 4-piston calipers usually used.

#7 ·
some new ducs are using cabled clutch setup. so just making sure that whatever brake suggestions i got , would have the matching hydraulic clutch. and yes. it is a ducati , with a lump coal design master. effective. yup but kinda like raw almonds. meeeh.

#9 ·
i bought a ducati for many reasons. 800 fit my lifestyle, the s2r800 fit my pocket book. monster fit my size. 800cc fit my need for speed. 380lb fit myb sense of adventure. shiny bright red tank with shiny bright red frame, extruded aluminimn singles sided swingarm, and with all my upgrades hits the mark ...dead sexy, except the brake and clutch reservoirs.. not sexy.

#12 ·
Sometimes you have to be your own guinea pig. Chances you will find what you want on eBay, but not something from another Ducati. Look at masters from Japanese bikes, more selection if you don’t want to experiment with different bore sizes. Many Japanese bikes are single caliper.

#13 ·
i am liking those ps13. pretty sure once they have reservoirs you would be hard pressed to see that they are modest in size. the only worry is now about trapping fingers.
when mismatching masters and callipers .
oversized masters means no action. shorter pull. on and off as you said
undersized masters increase lever action. longer pull if you will but just how close to the bars can be a concern.
those ps13 sure are more affordable but is it possible to trap a finger or worse all the way to the bar

#14 ·
I can't foresee it being that drastic. There would be a few millimeters of extra travel, but within that travel I believe you would gain much more usable, controlled braking. As opposed to basically what feels like "Free play" met by an abrupt "Full emergency stop" The change would result in a master/caliper piston ratio of around 18 to 1 in comparison to the factory 14 to 1 ratio. Considering the SS's, Sport Classics, S4's etc of the same era with the P4/34 type calipers were going with ratios of 32 to 1 and higher. A few of the older ones had the 24mm axis levers instead of the 22mm. (They look similar but you can see the pivot hole is smaller) But I don't think that was a total game changer. That being said, I definitely don't think we'd be playing with fire or anything. 14 to 1 is in the realm of the old Japanese and British bikes running a single, large piston, single caliper setup, with very low tech pad materials. Like I said, I'm not sure what possessed them to go that route. Really wouldn't anticipate the lever almost touching the bars and pinched fingers scenario. Besides, the aftermarket parts likely don't have the adjustment screws cemented over and drenched in super mega ultra red Loctite like they come from Ducati..
I intend to give it a try before too long anyway.

#16 ·
i like it only i have cycle cat brush triples and brushed rizoma and the rest of the front is brushed so naaa gonna pass.
i was thinking just plain old paint but i read the fluid kills paint. mine is just aged off.
I just started to learn how to use a airbrush . i am currently doing spot check on my 2006 mini. and getting better at it. but mostly i have spoiled my duc and i think spoiling with better looking reservoirs would be fun.

#18 ·
So I found a PS13 brake master on eBay from an '01 M600 and happened across a PS13 clutch master from an '03 M800. So I guess we'll see what happens.. Changing out the factory 12mm clutch master should balance out the the 29mm piston of the Oberon slave cylinder I've been using for years. (OE piston is 25mm)

I'll lose a little of that long slow engagement taking off, but more importantly I should gain a lot faster high speed shifts. As it is now, it's borderline Harley-ish trying to climb through the gears quickly.
And we'll get an answer to our question about using those front brakes with a 13.

And on a side note, these brake and clutch masters actually use the same reservoir cap as the current clutch. Means the brake's a little tidier and compact as well as being a matching pair.

#20 ·
I'll lose a little of that long slow engagement taking off, but more importantly I should gain a lot faster high speed shifts. As it is now, it's borderline Harley-ish trying to climb through the gears quickly.
And we'll get an answer to our question about using those front brakes with a 13.
If you wanna climb trough the gears quickly, you don't need the clutch at all. Just some light pressure on the shifting lever with your foot and then a quick off and on the gas with your right hand is enough to do a smooth and fast upshift. Only under firm acceleration and high in the revs. Google clutchless upshifting or look on youtube for tutorials. No Harley-feeling guaranteed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.