Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pretty good story for those of you in the market for a good helmet at the right price. Amongst my helmet collection include high dollar helmets like an Arai, a Shoei, etc, but I had a old large 1992 glossy black KBC TK200S full-face helmet that had seen better days. Granted it had never hit asphalt in an accident but for the past 14 odd years it has been knocked around, scratched up, dusty and stuff. It was my first street bike helmet and the Yamaha dealer "threw it in" with my first street bike, the mightly lil 535 Virago. The helmet now adays is the helmet I lend out to my new rider buddies until they bought their own helmet while they learned to ride. Since I'm not anal about it getting scratched, like I am with EVERYTHING else I own!
Well my buddy got his motorcycle permit, took the Motorcycle Safety Course, got his licence and picked out a old orange '95 Triumph Speed-Triple as a classic but economical daily commuter. He has been riding almost a year now (I wanted my damn helmet back! Hahaha!) Anyway, on his way home from work, on the freeway there was a near miss accident in front of him and the cager slammed on the brake causing him to slam on his brakes at around 50 mph and he flew over the handle bars literally landing on the side of his helmet. Sliding on his helmet and ass a pretty good ways. He got up, pulled the beat up but ride-able bike to the shoulder, checked to see if he s**t his pants, fired the bike back up and rode home with a little bit of road rash on his ass/leg. He was wearing First Gear textile jacket and gloves (that he bought for like $100 as a combo) and that saved him too (grinded it down to nothing!). But his jeans didn't hold up too well, thus the road rash. Bottom line is for the price KBC makes a quality helmet. Well worth it, it holds its own in a accident.
Oh hey, he replaced my lender helmet with a new HJC CL-15 (brand new in the box) for me to let my new rider buddies borrow. A little safer since it was built in the 21st century! Hopefully, this one won't be put to the test. KBC makes a good piece of gear. [thumbsup]

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am glad to hear that your buddy walked away, and good on ya for providing the equipment. [thumbsup] x10
A word of caution though - while far from an expiration date, the Snell foundation recommends replacing lids after a few years. I have read where foam loses its integrity over a period of time, but Snell says other thing (chemicals, oils) can compromise the glue. They say five years - I reckon it depends on the amount it gets used. And my helmet will probably be pretty ratty by that point anyways.
http://www.smf.org/faqs.html#10

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.