Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, still pretty much a noob.. considering I live in Seattle where we have a very limited riding season, I only have a combined ~8 months of riding experience between my two prevoius bikes, Ninja 250R and Ninja 636R

Looking forward to bugging you all with newbie Ducati questions.. and hoping to buy a Monster this winter.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
New member, still pretty much a noob.. considering I live in Seattle where we have a very limited riding season, I only have a combined ~8 months of riding experience between my two prevoius bikes, Ninja 250R and Ninja 636R

Looking forward to bugging you all with newbie Ducati questions.. and hoping to buy a Monster this winter.

Thanks
Unlike Kawasakis, Ducatis don't melt in the rain, so that alone will double your riding season, unless you personally are a gingerbread man, or the Wicked Witch of the West. ;)

PhilB

Edit: lol, I wrote that without noticing your screen name. Perhaps a muffinman would indeed become soggy in the rain.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unlike Kawasakis, Ducatis don't melt in the rain, so that alone will double your riding season, unless you personally are a gingerbread man, or the Wicked Witch of the West. ;)

PhilB

Edit: lol, I wrote that without noticing your screen name. Perhaps a muffinman would indeed become soggy in the rain.
Haha, I see what you did there

..but seriously, I know some Ducs come equipped w/ a very capable ABS system; outside of that and maybe better stock tires, does Ducatis generally fare better in the rain than comparable Kawis?

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Haha, I see what you did there

..but seriously, I know some Ducs come equipped w/ a very capable ABS system; outside of that and maybe better stock tires, does Ducatis generally fare better in the rain than comparable Kawis?

No, realistically, all bikes of the same general type are about the same in the rain. ABS is definitely a benefit. Bodywork too, which is why, out of two-wheelers, it is scooters that are best in the rain.

But the main thing, at least for me, is that with decent raingear and some extra attention and smoothness, there's no reason why riding in the rain shouldn't be done (especially if you have ABS). If you live where it rains a lot, it makes a big difference in how much you get to ride.

PhilB

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, realistically, all bikes of the same general type are about the same in the rain. ABS is definitely a benefit. Bodywork too, which is why, out of two-wheelers, it is scooters that are best in the rain.

But the main thing, at least for me, is that with decent raingear and some extra attention and smoothness, there's no reason why riding in the rain shouldn't be done (especially if you have ABS). If you live where it rains a lot, it makes a big difference in how much you get to ride.

PhilB
Ah, I see.. just out of curiosity, how would bodywork affect rain ability? Wouldn't full fairings be more beneficial since it can slip through the rain/wind more easily?

..and I fully agree about the riding extra safe + ABS in the rain but it's not me I'm worried about ;) WA drivers are notorious for forgetting how to drive when rain falls; which is a bit ironic/wierd

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Ah, I see.. just out of curiosity, how would bodywork affect rain ability? Wouldn't full fairings be more beneficial since it can slip through the rain/wind more easily?

..and I fully agree about the riding extra safe + ABS in the rain but it's not me I'm worried about ;) WA drivers are notorious for forgetting how to drive when rain falls; which is a bit ironic/wierd
The bike doesn't care about the fairings with regard to the rain itself; the only difference there is that the more fairing there is, the less rain hits your body. But that's what raingear is for. As far as wind, actually there you're better off with less fairings for the wind to catch and blow you around with.

PhilB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts