Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wondering if there are any EVO owners that have either reworked the comp needles or have used something like the K Tech compression needles in the Marzocchi fork? I have installed cartridges, and the comp adjustment is terrible. It seems all of the adjustment occurs in like 3/4 of a turn.
I am wondering if the above mentioned changes will help the issue? And will it help smooth the oil flow during high speed compression?

The forks work very well overall, but it seems the compression is either too hard to make fine adjustments or there is still some oil flow issues.

TIA for any info you can give!!!

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - MTS1100S - XT250
299 Posts
When I had an 1100 Evo I looked at having the compression needle tapered to give better adjustability. It does feel like an on/off switch. K-Tech needle should fix that but I never tested it myself.

However I doubt it would make a difference with high speed compression because that's the job of the shims stack. Maybe your forks need a proper service (complete disassembly not just dump and run) and fresh oil (Marzocchi are designed for Golden Spectro 7.5wt). These forks get dirty quickly.

What's your current oil level?

Edit: Just realised you have aftermarket cartridges installed (Andreani?). So already have fresh oil already and everything cleaned. I would write to them and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had an 1100 Evo I looked at having the compression needle tapered to give better adjustability. It does feel like an on/off switch. K-Tech needle should fix that but I never tested it myself.

However I doubt it would make a difference with high speed compression because that's the job of the shims stack. Maybe your forks need a proper service (complete disassembly not just dump and run) and fresh oil (Marzocchi are designed for Golden Spectro 7.5wt). These forks get dirty quickly.

What's your current oil level?

Edit: Just realised you have aftermarket cartridges installed (Andreani?). So already have fresh oil already and everything cleaned. I would write to them and see what they suggest.
5 wt I wanna say Motul since the shop uses 90% Motul, but I wasn't around when the fork went together. And I don't know what the oil level was set to. There wasn't any notes taken. I really wish I had the time to do the forks myself. They are GP Suspension carts. I really think getting the compression adjusters sorted is going to help sort it, since I'll be able to make small fine adjustments and be able to keep track of the changes with the detents in the new valves. The OE Marzoocchi valves are ridiculous for lack of fine adjustment.

See this thread...picture of oem needle vs. re-profile about halfway down the page...

Yes, I read that with interest. I ended up ordering the K Tech valves. Won't have time to get them in for a few weeks but they look like some quality kit.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - MTS1100S - XT250
299 Posts
Do the GP Suspension Cartridge offer Rebound on one leg and comp on the other like the Andreani?

Also you can adjust the compression damping one leg at a time.

My biggest complaint with the Marzocchi was the progressive spring. Once linear spring fitted, right oil viscosity and level set they do a decent job.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do the GP Suspension Cartridge offer Rebound on one leg and comp on the other like the Andreani?

Also you can adjust the compression damping one leg at a time.

My biggest complaint with the Marzocchi was the progressive spring. Once linear spring fitted, right oil viscosity and level set they do a decent job.
No, in this application they still have comp/reb on each leg. And yes, the stock spring was terrible. Lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts