Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ..
I dont know if it is me, but i am having a problem with a new crank case breather filter i just put on yesterday..

Driving my bike today...goin down the highway...my bike stutters a bit..then cuts out on me...so i roll and pull onto the shoulder...what the!!!..luckily a gas station is not far away...i push it there..wont start and my OIL LIGHT is on!!! I look and plenty of oil though???....

well...i figure it has to be the new K&N filter I put on for my crankcase....I replaced the old plastic pod and the tubes going to the airbox and my crackcase back to stock....after a bit it would then start back up....

My K&N filter was choking my crank case or something..!!!!
It was a brand new filter?...Now ..from what I know about K&N filters...are that they need to be oiled? when new...

It was white and dry as a bone when i got it new...i oiled it lightly so that it was reddish...should i have not oiled it???..

For some reason it was choking my crankcase...

WHAT IS THE DEAL...????

well at least my bike is alright...rode it home...
I want to put the K&N filter back on, but dont want to choke the bike again....

what should i do?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
So you're talking about one single modification of removing crank vent baffles and installing a small K&N breather "filter", correct? Sounds easy enough to put back...

I never did get why people do that mod. When I get rid of airboxes, I run long-ish hose off the baffles and have it vent to the atmosphere. No breather, no nothing.

:) Chris

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have heard that after air is vented from the crank case it may create some suction and draw air back in. Dirt or other contaminants could be pulled back in alog with the oil laden air that was just blown out. When I relocated the vent on my other bike I used a breather that did not permit return flow.
This is just what Ive heard and most racers say they just run a hose to the ground. I did it for fun mostly.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm....
so...your sayin that no air is being sucked into my crankase?...and it is only expelling air?...so a long rubber tube venting it down and out should be fine?....

Hey..sounds good to me..I am still confused why the K&N filter caused it to "choke" up and stop moving oil or whatever....

Maybe I will just ditch the tubes and baffle running from my crancase to the airbox and just add a section of tube that runs down and out...I wouldnt have any problems with stuff getting sucked back into my crankcase?..it's an exit only vent?

hmmmm...

M

·
0 Posts
That crankcase filter, other than looking pretty cool (i have one!) is only going to vent a hair better than the stock emissions garbage. It just doesnt do anything so I wouldn't necessarily assume the filter itself is the culprit.

How did you plug the airbox holes?

You still have the rest of the factory emissions on the bike?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the hole in my airbox plugged with a flush 7/8" hole plug...and a little rtv silicon to seal it.

hmmm...well...i decided to put the K&N breather back on...took it for a test ride...a looooooooong test ride :) Brought my cell phone so I could call my girlfriend in case there was a problem...no problem though.

Everything seems fine now...not to sure what the problem could have been..weird.

Well anyway... i am going to keep an eye on it on for now since everything seems to be running fine...Hopefully it never happens again...

L8

·
Registered
413 Posts
Glad you got it fixed Duckets--It sucks to be broken down on the side of the road. Now, your next long ride has to be with your brother and I ...no excuses [smiley=evil.gif]

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Referring to running just a hose like Chris said; my '69 Bonneville uses exactly that setup to vent the cases. Seems to work OK except for "drooling" an oil/water emulsion on the rear tire and ground when you stop after short rides, but, hey, it's a Triumph! They're supposed to leak, right? Hmmm, I wonder if that kind of gunk is going in the airbox on the Duc? As far as dirt, etc getting sucked back into the engine, at least Ducatis have an oil filter to catch it! The Brits don' need no steenkin' oil feelters! At least I avoid the quandry of dino/synthetic, how often do I change oil and all that. Castrol GTX 20W-50 and change it every 1500 miles. Of course, it also has separate lubes for the gearbox AND the primary chain. Simple, huh?

Eddie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts