Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANYBODY TRIED THE K&N DUAL POD INTAKE KIT JUST GOT AN 03 800S...NEED MORE POWER!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I got my filters from AutoZone, 25.00 each part# RU-1750. They arrived in one day and look great, I'm re jetting this weekend. I just cut the airbox section off of the battery box and kept it. fit was great just had to secure the front of the battery box to the carbs. I've got some pics in the members bike section.

Hanjin

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is rejetting always necessary? i ride an 03 800 (fuel injection)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so adding the pods isnt just "adding the pods" then, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Maybe Autozone bought a trainload by accident and is blowin' 'em out at below cost to clear inventory.

Struck me odd that AutoZone would have K&N's to fit motos....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same part number? It might fit a car somewhere. I was told a while back that a 700 Volvo heater fan ($80) was the same as Chevy Celebrity ($26). I had the parts store pull both numbers and compare. That chevy fan is still going 10+ years later.

·
Registered
783 Posts
That filter is considered a Universal so any shop can get it. Autozone is one of the main dealers of k&n.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Chris,

Curious how much that price is below your dealer cost.

Could it be mega purchasing power of Autozone? The usual problem of competing with a "big box" store?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Don, part of it is that K&N simply doesn't like selling to people, so i'm stuck with one of a couple sources to buy them from. i think autozone is incorrectly retailing at wholesale. i think i pay like $28 or $29 for them, given that i offer them at $41.

more about the K&N thing. i was working on this custom project and wanted samples of a couple different filters with a follow on order for 100 pieces to follow. they told me to buy them from a proper wholesaler. they didn't care that none of my vendors even bothered to carry the filters i was looking for (nor were they listed in said vendors catalogs, so they'd have to create a part number, blah blah). so for said project, i bought uni filters. ::)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I had a hard time tracking down anyone that would even consider a special order for these filters. Many retailers said that they only sell auto filters, and I would have to go to a moto shop. K&N was really nothing but trouble. I just got lucky with Autozone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts