Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask some pretty dumn questions I guess, but I'm new so, I'm allowed to be a retard I hope...

a)What's a 'K&N Filter' ..? I hear alot of chat about this being one of the first mods on a monster.. explain...?

b)Why would you put clip-ons on a monster? What do these do and how do they compare to the regular handlebars performance wise?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
a K&N filter is made of cotton, not paper. if you run an open airbox, you need a filter that can tolerate water. paper can't.

clip-ons serve two functions a)put more weight over front wheel to improve handling b)look cool

ride the bike a while, figure out what you want, prioritise, read alot, then modify. just an opinion

R

·
0 Posts
Hey no one is dumber than me, well except for maybe, nah it's me.
I think the idea is that getting air in and air out as efficiently as possible is a good thing... So the open air box should be better at accomodating the first part of that equation. air out is pipe related.

·
Registered
447 Posts
A K&N air filter is a permanent filter that you can clean and recharge with oil. They cost around $50. Not sure how much hp you would gain by switching to one without opening the airbox. If you open the airbox, then you have to compensate for the increased air flow, usually with a Power Commander. Those run from $250-$300.
Clip-ons look way cool. They lower the height of bars, placing more weight over the front tire and putting you in a more aggressive, and more uncomfortable, riding position. Since the stock handle bars are a single piece, you cannot adjust the angle of the bars. Clip-ons will allow for some adjustment. That is another reason to go with clip-ons.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

So the K&N improves HP(by improving airflow in) right?? Anyone know the numbers on that?

So I'm gonna want to get used to the power and feel of the bike stock, then from there would be a good place to decide what's next, yeah?

-DC

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
actually, the K&N will do nothing for you unless you open the airbox. if you open the airbox, you need to add more fuel to compensate that means re-jet if it's carbed or re-map if it's FI.

R

·
0 Posts
You may like this also for info on FI stuff for Ducs.....

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/weber.html

It may be of interest that FIM states:

"We map all our eproms for standard OEM air filters. The large paper cartridge type fitted to Ducatis works extremely well, and our tests with other types have revealed greater airflow restrictions than the stock filters. Therefore we do not recommend or reject any aftermarket air filters."

"For some reason we have enquiries about our EPROMs for K&N filters : We have never produced EPROMs for K&N filters !"

But they don't state what other types are...one might assume they also tried K&N's, but it doesn't state whether it is stock box versus open box in the comparison. I'm guessing it is a statement re: stock air box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts