Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ducatisti,

I want to get a better flowing air filter for my 800. Considering getting the K&N. Anybody have one installed? good/bad? Any thoughts/comments? whats a good source to buy it online?

thanx

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Re:  K&N air filter

Any of the site sponsors would be a good place to get one. I think you have to have the ECU changed to make the new mixture correct.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Stock ECU can be tweaked to the right air fuel mixture.

The filter alone will only do so much and with out a pipe mod or open air box will not even need an adjustment of the fuel map. If you get both of the previous mentioned you will with out a doubt need your map adjusted. This can be done with either a PCIII or at your local shop if they are good a mapping.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

I have one all it does is help the little beastie breath better...
The sound is great, when you twist the throttle :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #5

Do you really need to cut the air box when istalling the K&N ? I relaly dont feel like hack-sawing my Duc, but I question the benefits of having the K&N with the stock air box cover.

Would I need remapping if i simply go with the filter?

G

·
Discussion Starter #6

If you are not opening the airbox or putting pipes/exhaust on, why not just stick with the stock filter?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re:

If you are not opening the airbox or putting pipes/exhaust on, why not just stick with the stock filter?
SoCal is right. With out getting pipes or opening the airbox so you get more air, the need for a $70 K&N is a waste of money. If you go with filter only and don't open the air box or add pipes, then just like I said in my previous post, NO you don't have to remap. Sorry for the big no, I just want it to stand out.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8

to ellaborate a bit... the stock air filter flows VERY well. as i see it, there are only two reasons to go with a k&n.
1 - IF you decide to hack the airbox lid, it'll stand up to the elements if you get caught in the rain.
2 - NEVER need to be replaced unless it's somehow damaged. just clean and oil it every so often.

if you opt ot keep your lid in tact, save your $$ for other mods.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9

i'll confirm the opinion of the board.

keep the stock filter if you are not increasing airflow.

You can actually LOSE power if you put in a K&N with a factory airbox.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts

A K&N filter can't offer you nothing if it used only by itself.In fact your bike will run leaner .If used with a set of jetting(or ECU) and slip-ons you will see a respecatble difference to the horsepower and torque of your bike .My advice is not to change the filter ,if you are not willing to change the other stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11

I have consistantly seen air box lids on ebay for $12. But the lid and cut it. Store your stock one incase it does not work out for you. If not I agree with the rest. Save the cash.

·
Registered
461 Posts

The slip-ons might do a bit for power if you have the fuel-air mix tweaked, but the K&N won't do anything for you.

The order of effectiveness of cheap performance is as follows:

1) open airbox, with F-A tweak,
2) replace exhaust system, with F-A tweak,
3) replace cans, maybe F-A tweak might be needed,

K&N filters are great for some applications where filter area is limited and flow is big, like Ford trucks. I use one on the KLR650 because it and the stock one are tiny, and K&N's do flow better than paper. But with that huge flat filter in the Monster (which doesn't restrict the 1000, much less the 800 or 620) the only point would be to get the sticker.

-Don

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Re:

Thanks guys, so I guess you would agree to get the K&N if I were to get slip-ons? (thinking sil motor high mount)
vasil, it's not so much get the k&n if you get slips ons......and k&n is one of many type of aftermarket filters. Pipercross is another, etc. etc.
A very basic reasoning;
If you get better air flow ( not so much improved flow change as resonance change, I have been told ) (opening the air box) into the engine and out of the engine (slip ons), within certain constraints, you can make some horsepower. Making hp this way works tuned on a dyno and remapping the throttle since you are altering the fuel air mix by increasing the air flow and by changing the resonance (Lean). Since it appears to be generally true that bikes run lean to meet emissions; Adding air flow would increase an already lean condition, changing the resonance will change where it is lean from stock, and it is also generally true that thoughout the whole throttle range it may be rich here and lean there...the idle could be off, or the ignition etc,...it's all a guess without a dyno. As Doug would say it can all be done on a dyno no hocus pocus, and you can assume your work is perfect if you don't check it.
As has been stated the stock filter works and flows well in it's stock air box and works as it was engineered to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts