Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ducati have released info on the SportClassic that I would have bought, 'cept they weren't out back when. They addressed the not-so-classic single shock/side pipes of the Sport 1000 with these:

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2006/ducatiModel.jhtml?family=sportclassic&modelName=SPORT1000S-07

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2006/ducatiModel.jhtml?family=sportclassic&modelName=SPORT1000BIP-07

I have an air-cooled 1000S, and I really like it, but I like these, too. Basically, they're the same engine, except for the closed-loop EFI, but they'll ride differently (I'm long enough of arm and back to be comfortable, though). Since the Monster is "naked", maybe a full classic style fairing on an S1000 would make it different enough to justify both?

I'm looking for an "excuse", really, 'cause I am ready to get some sort of touring rig (modifed 999S(?), ST4 ABS(!), or Road King(??)), mostly to get more range per tank, and I really don't know how to explain two more bikes in the garage.

I know that most of the full-bodied Monsters are track bikes, but does anyone have any idea how much range I could get from a full-body on the S1000?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but a friend with a ST3 ABS gets approx the same fuel range per tank as my carbed 900. About 150 miles before the light comes on.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Who do you need to justify to? Yourself or your SO?

If its your SO then its not likely that a statistical argument will work. You're better off being super loving, attentive, helpful, etc for a while and then pop the question.

If its for yourself then, hell, you have my blessing whatever you choose!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Definitly get the S man. they are slick. You wouldn't want to ride anyone around in it though. Just say you want to be one of the villans in mad max for halloween.

its like owning a

and a

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ducpainter said:
Not sure if this will help, but a friend with a ST3 ABS gets approx the same fuel range per tank as my carbed 900. About 150 miles before the light comes on.
I am looking for more like 170 (I don't feel like taking a break until a couple of hours), so thanks for that info'. There's a stretch of I-70 in Utah, between Green River and Salina, where the signs warn of "No Services for 100 MIles", and they MEAN IT, so having some backup range would be nice, even if you do carry some emergency fuel. It's one of the reasons I'm considering a 749R tank as a mod to a 999S.

BTW, Duke Dave, if I had a 389 Tri-Power (PLEASE?!) or 400 H.O., I wouldn't even want the new one. It's got some serious improvements, even in power (and it certainly gets lets "unwanted" attention than a 'Vette), but doesn't have (to me, at least) the "presence" of the older model. If I were gonna use a car analogy, I think it would be a Cayman as the "modern" Monster, and a Beck 550 as the "homage".

Truerider, I like the look of the bare 1000 Biposto, too, but ONE of the bikes would "need" a fairing, and a vintage-look full fairing on a Sport 1000S might be an easier conversion than a 748-style on the Monster.

Thanks all, for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts