Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from test riding the M796.

It was a blast.

I noticed right away that it felt higher off the ground than my 696 -- good for leaning it over more. I also noticed the seat was slightly different but not tremendously so. I'm thankfully not suffering too poorly from monsterballs on my bike.

The most noticeable difference was simply the sound. It just sounded meaner. Lower, more bass. Definitely noticeable. Sounded spectacular when blipping the throttle on downshifts.

I also enjoyed the fact they got rid of the "choke" and make it fully automated as it should be on a fuel-injected bike.

As far as riding, it felt great. The wet clutch felt just like my 696's and the brakes felt identical. Strong and easy to modulate. This was a non-ABS version so I can't comment on the ABS.

Frankly, I didn't notice all that much more power. Only when I gave it some stick from very low speed did I notice a difference in the amount of torque it produced. It was noticeably torquier but not like what I imagine the 1100 to be like. I would call it a marginal difference. Otherwise, the power wasn't that noticeable. I'm happy with that. I don't feel my bike is underpowered at all and frankly, would like to keep the better fuel economy of a smaller engine.

So all in all... it's a great bike. It looks great (that single-sided swing arm!), sounds really, really good with stock pipes and was very easy to ride. I liked it a lot.

Fortunately for me, it doesn't make the 696 feel like some underpowered scooter and I was still very happy to get on my bike and ride it back home.

Would I trade up to the 796 in a few years? You bet. Am I dying to get one tomorrow? Nope.

I am jealous of all you 796 owners out there, however.
You have a great bike.
But let's face it. We all have great bikes.

Cheers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love Affair

I'm loving my 796, and have had occasion to ride a 696, as well as the 1100 - I love them all. In contrast I can say that pushing the 696 and the 796, using the bike full force, I noticed quite a difference, specifically in the top speed and rpm at various higher speeds; I might say the same in contrast between the 796 and 1100 arose, though I found the 1100 to be more than I needed or would use on the road. The 796 suits me perfectly for how I like to ride and where I like to ride - with these Monsters it seems to be all a question of how you ride and what you want to do.

They all seem delightful to me, but with each I find qualities that are unique, and with each I've found a different play in power and handling.

This coming weekend my buddy and I are going on a three day ride - we will see what that's like on the 796; so far I have not been disappointed, though I only have three thousand something miles on it so far...:cool:

Enjoy your ride!:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, the 796 looks great. Will I trade my 2010 696 for one soon? No. Ducati has one-upped me twice in a row. I bought a new 1098 superbike in 2008 and less than a year later they introduce the 1198. Now, less than a year after getting my 696, here's the 796. No doubt the new ones are great bikes, but I will stick with what I have for now-- M896, 1298 SBK?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Well, those of you who have gotten to ride one should consider yourselves lucky. I've been to 3 different dealers since the introduction and none of them even had one to look at, much less ride.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Ohio

I suppose that they are just falling off of trees in Cali. :)

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Ohio

I suppose that they are just falling off of trees in Cali. :)
No, not at all. But it's really up to the dealers to order them. Obviously your local dealer doesn't want to order any without a deposit. The problem is now that it will be at least two months before any more show up. Unless your dealer has one ordered and on its way, you're looking at late October at the earliest.

I found out that the bike I ordered is one of only FIVE ABS equipped 796s in the whole country, currently on their way to their owners.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You're probably right. The one dealer has nothing but leftover '09 696's and 1100's. The only '10s that I saw there were 2 new Multis

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great bike, but it is my first street bike. Power is quite manageable, but I'm still breaking it in. Tall gears, I find myself riding a lot in 2nd and 3rd in my neighbourhood and I'm still just barely 4000RPM, that is the magic number for this bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the 796 still has the Siemens ECU so no reason for me to consider the upgrade just yet. Tell me does the 796 run as hot as the 696?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts