Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Man, That's extraordinarily cool, Andre! You know I never noticed before the visual line that the forward cylinder bank makes with the rear swing arm. Well done [thumbsup] very artistic.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Yeah, that almost horizontal line is great, isn't it? I never noticed it before today either :) I think that the fact that Gus painted his belt covers, together with the low color saturation I used in these shots, helped that line stand out a bit. I only really thought about it after you mentioned it. Cool...

Now the cool thing is that the lighting I had in mind for the trellis frame worked perfectly, as did the lighting for the carbon fiber exhaust.

yup... I'm a happy camper ;D

·
Registered
356 Posts
oh wow. We could have had a picture day for Christmas if we knew earlier :)

Very nice work Andre.

Have you tried paining with light using colored LED lights and Laser Pointers?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, man.

I haven't tried LEDs or laser pointers, but I could try on the near future. A similar effect could be achieved by "filtering" my flashlights with celophane sheets... Hmm, something to keep in mind.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jen,

Sure! We just need to set a date that would work for both of us. I'm on break until Jan 15, so we have some time to do this (after that school might take up all my free time). Just shoot me a pm or email whenever...

Sweet... this make two monsters and one 998 I can still photograph before my break is up ;D

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, plenty of potential victims here ;D

Let do this: shoot me a pm with a date you have in mind for the shoot, and we'll do this in a first come, first serve basis.

If you have a 2 car garage we can shoot in, it would be best. If need be, I might be able to work in my parents garage, but I would rather avoid it if possible. Figure in about 4 hours to set up and shoot, and we're set. I work friday to sunday evenings, so if you want to do this during a weekend, we would need to start in the morning (about 9:00, no biggie).

let me know,

Andre

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
OKOKOKOKOK
I'm next...
Pics of my Duc and my Commando!~
I'll compensate ya and then some!
Hey, it's Texmas!
Let's work out a date - my garage needs cleaning anyway!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right on! ;D

Here's what I'm thinking: This saturday and next saturday are still fair game, as long as we start early in the morning, so that I can go to work during the evenings. The sundays, well, they're not quite holidays yet, at least until the sun goes down. It could still work, but its a big maybe. After the holidays things should be easier, but only for a couple of weeks.

So the thing to do is pick a date and PM me... worst case scenario the date doesn't workout and we'll pick another one.

Sweet, a commando ;D

André

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Andre,
You've got TippyToe and James ahead of me, so if you want to work me in after Texmas, no prob.
However, if their schedules are full, I'd have this Sunday available, or the following Wed Thurs and Fri at any time.
A couple more questions that may pertain to all of us... How much floor space do you need around the bike, and, will it matter if my garage doors have windows? They can be covered up of course, just interested.
Rick

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rick,

Don't worry about the order people posted in. No one has pm'd me yet, so for all purposes you're first in line. Sunday sounds good to me, but I'd rather start somewhat early in the morning (say 9:00), that way we're both free for the family commitments that may come at night.

As for the floor space, I've been working in a two car garage, with 2 bikes and a few boxes inside (other than the bike I'm photographing). If I can have 2 parking spaces free it would be ideal. The more space we have, the more freedom we have as far as composition goes. I need at least a couple of yards from the bike to be able to frame a full-bike shot properly, and enough room to move the bike around. I suppose a single car garage would do, as long as it's mostly empty and we can park the bike sideways inside (if that makes any sense).

As for the windows, they would have to be covered up. I actually cover up the small gaps between the garage door and the wall too, as it leaks enough light to disturb the shot. It doesn't have to be pitch black, but it should be dark enough that it takes a couple of minutes to be able to see with the lights off. Covering up the windows shouldn't be a big deal with some cardboard and masking tape. I'll bring some cardboard, some towels, and some blackout fabric with me.

But now I have a question for you (and everyone else whose bike I'll photograph): Do you have any step ladders? I ask because in some shots I have the tripod set so high that I need a ladder to use the camera. Also, I'll need something so hold the backdrop up. Unfortunately I don't have backdrop stands yet (might have to buy some soon). I've been clamping my backdrop to shelves and ladders so far, and it's worked. If you have nothing of the sort in your garage, let me know so that I can find an alternative.

Well, sounds like a plan. A little complicated, perhaps, but a plan nonetheless.

I'll pm you right now with my cell phone and email, in case you want to call me.

André

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'll throw this out there....

....how about we set aside a day where we can setup one person's garage and then have the people interested in having this done show up at certain times to get their photos takenor hang out as long as they want . This would save the setup and breakdown time for Andre.

I will volunteer my garage if you would like. I have plenty of motorcycle racing on the DVR and I can get a some party platters from Chilis for people to munch on.

Heck, I might even clean my bike up and get a few pics of it taken. I will be off for 16 days so I might be able to find the time to clean it. [cheeky]

Thoughts??

Swanny

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Swanny, that's an EXCELLENT idea! Our garage is totally un-workable at the moment as it seems we have a motorbike infestation :angel:

Thanks for the offer!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
n2f said:
Our garage is totally un-workable at the moment as it seems we have a motorbike infestation :angel:
Unfortunately I don't have that problem. :'(

Swanny

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, maybe

Swanny,

First of all, thanks for the offer, man!

In principle that could work...

Although setup might take 30min to an hour, an average shoot will take me 3-4 hours. After that I'm pooped, and so is my camera's battery (long exposures seem to be tough on it). But the biggie is the mental exhaustion that kicks in... when shooting Gus' bike, I had to stop because I simply couldn't shoot anymore. If I keep pushing, I can probably keep shooting, but the quality will take a very sharp nose-dive.

To give you an idea, I shot 4 "poses" w/ Gus' bike. This took me at least 3 hours, and the last "pose" I couldn't finish. I never got the light right, and simply couldn't think straight anymore. This is hard work!

Hmm... Maybe if I took breaks between bikes, this could work... Say a morning session, a break for lunch, and an afternoon session. If I get a replacement battery, this becomes a real possibility.

I'm not sure how many bikes we can do in a day... I think 2 are a safe bet, but not much more than that. One of my concerns is that the shots will become repetitive, stale, etc...

If we do this, let's plan on 2 bikes, and whatever else I can do is a bonus.

So, pending a confirmation by Rick, this Sunday I'll shoot his 2 bikes (or 2 of his bikes :) ).

We could do a shoot chez Swanny at a later date, perhaps? During the week gives us the option of going into the night with the shoot (if you want), so 3 (maybe 4) bikes becomes a real possibility.

Having said all that, let me throw this out there:

I'd love to shoot a dirtbike as well. They don't even have to be clean. They shouldn't be clean. Huh? Huh? ;D

Man, this is a long post.

André

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Andre,

Whatever works for you and everyone else is fine with me. I am off for two weeks so my schedule will be pretty flexible.

Maybe we can get a weekday where a couple of people can come during the day and then one or two people come after work and you can shoot until you get tired.

I would love for you to shoot my dirt bike. That would be awesome!!

Swanny

1 - 20 of 25 Posts