Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an 2005 monster that was advertised as having a blown engine. The guy I got it from didn't know much about what happened. He said he let the oil get low. Then he "saw metal" in the oil. His friend who is a mechanic looked at the oil and said to sell the bike. I am planning to do the work myself and am trying to assess what this engine needs or whether to just swap in an engine from bay/dismantler.

I drained the oil and it was very low, not sure if he had already drained some. On the drain plug there were small chunks of metal, looks mostly gold/copper in color, with a few silver colored pieces (picture below). The oil itself is dark and is sparkly, once again with a gold hint. What next steps would you all take to assess the engine? Checking compression? Other disassembly? I have oil and filter at hand and not tried to turn it over at all yet. Thanks for your help, I am excited to ride

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am planning to do the work myself and am trying to assess what this engine needs
In my opinion, you're going to have to strip the engine. Any component failure causing this type of metal, even if it turned out to be, let's say, piston broken. The metal in engine will continue to do damage. You may as well bite the bullet and pull it down. Costs nothing, then decide, depending on what you find, whether to rebuild or replace.
Any further cranking, or trying to run it will add to the mess.
you may find something simple and cheap to fix, or extensive and costly, but you will still need to clean it out completely if rebuild is the option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agreed, take it apart. You will need to remove it anyway. Plus, I am curious to see what you find ?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curious your guys thoughts on getting an engine out of a salvage bike vs tearing it down. My considerations are that I want to ride sooner than later, don't have a great workshop for rebuilding engines and just the overall time and money calculus. It seems like I can get a motor for about $600. What are people spending in time/money for a rebuild if no expensive internal parts are needed? If I do get a second engine, I will likely tear this one down to either fix or sell for parts, just can do it without considering how long it will take to get my bike running.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My guess, with the number of metal shavings, you will need more than $600 in parts and labor. Just would recommend finding an engine with reasonable milage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I am starting the search for a "new" used engine. Going to Ebay and next week I'll contact salvage yards local and further afield. I'm planning to go by mileage, compression, evidence of running, exterior condition and reputation of seller. Any other tips in choosing an engine or specific places you really trust to use?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sounds like you have decent qualifications you are looking for.
But ultimately you will have to roll the bones methinks.
What about a warranty on it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it is something to ask about. Do you think a warranty means much on a used engine from a scrapyard that I am installing myself?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just saw they added a sixth gear in around 04, how much do you guys think it is worth getting an 04-06 motor with 6 gears? A lot of the good motors I am running across are 03/02 and some are from the 620 dark.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stick with the same year you have if at all possible therefore there will be no question about fitment.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Do your homework. The largest displacement engine that will fit in with no issues is what you want to find if the condition is good. I think a 750 might bolt in, but definitely check that
For fewest hassles, same engine , same year or close.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts