Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to check the steering head bearings to see if they were causing a "gritty" feeling in the front end on the last couple of rides.

Good thing I did :eek:

The bearings and races were still intact and not brinneled anywhere - yet. But the bottoms were bone dry and the tops didn't have enough grease for a kid to get his hands dirty on.

Cleaned them up and checked all the rollers for cracks and pits. Repacked with liberal quantities of my favorite high temp bearing grease and buttoned everything up.

Even though the steering felt kind of smooth from lock to lock before, I could really tell smooth after.

I test rode for about 10 miles and I think I may have to adjust the headset just a little. But at least I don't have to worry and wonder about the steering head bearings for a while.

Now I wonder what shape my swingarm bearings are in ???

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris,
Actually after reading all that's been posted about swingarms on this and the Big List, I'm only wondering if I have a big enough hammer ;D (And we're talking 9 lb on a short 12" handle)

That thread where they had the bare frame blocked up and still couldn't drive the pivot out gives me bad dreams.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Damn, I new I forgot to check that! Now I'll have to add two more winter items to my list. :p

I'm gonna turn into a never-ending project guy like Strati at this rate...

-dj

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Are you sure you wonder about that? I had to use the big hammer to pound the swingarm pin out of Pongo. :p
Thats what the Air Hammer is for ;D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts