Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says. I am fine, the bike is fine, we didn't go down.

To be frank and honest, I don't know how the hell I didn't go down. The rear tire locked and I kept my foot in it. The front locked up and I modulated the lever, but still got into a tank slapper with the bike moving back and forth and the bars swinging side to side. A steering damper might have helped but I don't know. I guess muscle memory from riding dirt bikes and motocrossing all those years ago kicked in because I managed to keep myself centered over the bike and my weight back so I didn't highside and help the rear tire get some traction. I don't know if that was the right thing to do on the street, but it worked and I regained control and kept the bike under me. So, I turned around and went back to the parking lot that she pulled into and asked her if she saw me before she had tried to kill me.

Anyway, still shaking a bit. Gonna go sit down a few minutes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rameses said:
Glad to hear you're okay man.

Just out of curiosity, what'd she say when you went back and confronted her?

Me: Ma'am, did you even see me when you tried to kill me back there?

OB (Old Bat): I saw you, but I thought you were farther away than that.

Me: You need to be more careful when you are driving.

OB: I am careful, I just thought you were farther away, but you came up on me so fast.

Me: I was doing the speed limit. (I had just looked down at my speedo about 5 seconds before)

That was pretty much the end of it. When I turned around to confront, I didn't know if the driver was man, woman or what, just that it was a Richard Petty edition Pontiac Grand Prix, that almost got some new red stripes. It turned out to be a woman in her 60s (by my best guess) who was driving an older woman (80s or 90s) around. I may have hurt her feelings, and I know she didn't do it on purpose, but hopefully she will pay more attention on the roads. I wasn't mean or cruel, I just wanted her to know that because she wasn't as cautious as she should be when driving that someone could have died, and if it hadn't been a motorcycle she pulled in front of, the deceased would have probably been her elderly mother in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Glad to hear you pulled it out. Everyday when I am driving I see people doing the stupidest things. I heard of people not being able to judge the distance that you are away from them but for the most part I think they have this desire to be in front of anybody and anything.

Thinks I have seen in the last month.

A lady knitting (pulled up at the light looked over and there she was F knitting) WTF
A Man eating Ice cream out of a bowl with a spoon and driving with his legs ( this guy was going across the line and on the berm of the road. I thought this guy must be drunk. Nope Ice cream)

So once again glad to hear you and your bike are OK. (I see Idiots)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but I had some twit almost take me out yesterday. He decided to pass two cars on a blind uphill right hard curve while I was coming the other way. I was able to pull to the shoulder w/o incident.
Ride safe folks.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
same thing happened to me when i left barnett's ... someone cut across 4 lanes of traffic and a median from a gas station, right in front of me. it was so close i locked the rear brake during my panic stop.

her window was down, so she got a earfull when i pulled up beside her window.

she kept both hands on the wheel and never acknowledged i was there ... she knew she screwed up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pompetta said:
Sorry Templar, but this thread makes me chuckle. I have someone pull out in front of me at least once per week. ;)
Actually, I have had a few people pull out in front of me since I got the bike, but this one was just so close. To be honest, when she pulled across, I honestly thought I was going to hit that car. The monster pleasantly surprised me.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Rameses said:
That's such a crappy feeling when that happens. :-\
As bad or worse than a license plate through half ya hand? >:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts