Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys, I am pretty mechanically inclined, and I have plenty of tools, so do you think I should install my new blue anodized pressure plate and stainless bolts and springs myself? Should I have have my mechanic do it? Is there anything i have to worry about? Are there a million small pieces behind that plate besides the cluth plate? I am psyched about this piece. I already have a semi open clutch cover and can't wait to see how it looks!!!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Even if you are only moderately mechanically inclined...it is a breeze...Grab your Allen wrenches and have at it. It is an intuitive job....

Post pix when done.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Without a doubt, don't hesitate to do it yourself. If you wear glasses, you could smear vasiline over them and be able to do the job!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
blue..........that's one color I don't see often. I wanted a blue S4, but I don't think they made a blue. Anodized blue is a slick color [thumbsup] C'mon, where's the pics? wanna see. did you get red spring caps? that's a cool combo. It's snowing over here and I'm bored, can't ya tell?. I'm getting excited over someone else's bike! make sure you have some loc-tite for your spring bolts and don't overtighten.
MM

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MichMonsterS4 said:
blue..........that's one color I don't see often. I wanted a blue S4, but I don't think they made a blue. Anodized blue is a slick color [thumbsup] C'mon, where's the pics? wanna see. did you get red spring caps? that's a cool combo. It's snowing over here and I'm bored, can't ya tell?. I'm getting excited over someone else's bike! make sure you have some loc-tite for your spring bolts and don't overtighten.
MM
I appreciate your excitement dude. My Bike is yellow as you can see in the pic to the left, all my riding gear is blue so thats why I went with the blue plate, and the springs and bolts are just polished stainless.....project should be done this weekend if I am not already predisposed by my better half......

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I've read in the past that the use of loctite is not necessary as the springs supply enough force to keep the bolts from backing out. I could be wrong here though.

You could upgrade the spring post bolts with titanium bits. I just did that, I find titanium funny, because the weight is so light I feel like somebody is pulling a fast one on me and substituting shiny plastic bolts.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
I've read in the past that the use of loctite is not necessary as the springs supply enough force to keep the bolts from backing out. I could be wrong here though.

You could upgrade the spring post bolts with titanium bits. I just did that, I find titanium funny, because the weight is so light I feel like somebody is pulling a fast one on me and substituting shiny plastic bolts.
yes you are correct, I wouldn't use loctite on those bolts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I may be a wuss, but I recommend getting a torque wretch and tightening the bolts back to spec. The 3 manuals I have for my bike all had different torque values, so I still had to wing it a little.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
PeteB said:
I may be a wuss, but I recommend getting a torque wretch and tightening the bolts back to spec. The 3 manuals I have for my bike all had different torque values, so I still had to wing it a little.
for the spring retention bolts? You could use a torque wrench, but there's a high chance of torquing too much and shearing the bolt head off or even worse, breaking the leg off the clutch drum (there's more than one person who's done this :-X) The torque is 10 Nm or what I call, snug. The pressure exerted by the spring will prevent the bolt from backing out like someone said above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts