Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I assume those pieces are small, could you take a pic with a coin next to them and let us know if they stick to a magnet or not.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well we learned it's iron, if no experts chime in contact your local shop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No techs on the site to help??? Just trying to figure out where these metal pieces may have come from...outer space???

·
Registered
117 Posts
those look bigger than the typical small metal shavings in the oil
i'd get it checked out
Typical iron parts in an engine that can get pieces in the oil are the crankshaft, conrods, and wrist pins. Do Ducatis have floating wrist pins? If yes then you also have the wrist pin keepers. How does the engine run?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Damn. I really hope this doesn't turn into a nightmare for you. I've never heard of piece of metal that large before - usually, people are freaking out over shavings and such. Keep us in the loop...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
freaking out yes ! I think Iam going to run it tell she blows and then put a 750 in it lucky I have a back up motor not a 900 but I just went for a ride and its running good for now life is great just a motor but not what I like to find when I change my oil

·
Registered
117 Posts
freaking out yes ! I think Iam going to run it tell she blows and then put a 750 in it lucky I have a back up motor not a 900 but I just went for a ride and its running good for now life is great just a motor but not what I like to find when I change my oil
Good attitude! Every time you ride think of what you want to do with that new engine.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I didn't respond because I don't recognize the pieces. The most common item found is 1/2 rings, but those don't look like them. Another posibility, if someone has messed with the pistons, is bits of an oil ring. A quick leakdown should tell you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
leakdown should tell you.--- Ok I will they that and I let you know Thanks for your 2 cents

·
Registered
335 Posts
Holy Toledo! If I got pieces that large out of a 7.0 liter V-8 I'd be freeking out. I think you've got two options: run it until it kills itself then rebuild, or simply remove the engine and tear it down now. If it was me, I'd go for option two.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok now over 3000 mil all is good changed oil no more SHI* in my oil,Picked up a 07S2R 1000 with 2500 for a great price

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ok now over 3000 mil all is good changed oil no more SHI* in my oil,Picked up a 07S2R 1000 with 2500 for a great price

Since you've got some spare cash to buy stuff, can you lend me?

Hope your 900 is doing OK, keep the 411 coming

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey puppy it's been about three months from your last post. How is the bike running or is it down? Have you found out what the metal was from and what damage has or has not been done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Running the bike every day I can no more shi* in the oil drained the oil out 3 more times . So all is well for now I think it my of been when they pulled the 750 out and put the 900 in some thing fell in like a shim.I dont know where the metal came from it runs good if it did damage some thing I cant tell by riding it power it good so looks like I well run it tell she blows or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts