Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a tank from a 97 M900 that I am going to powdercoat and put on my 93 M900.
Here are my questions,
First the gas cap was left on and locked shut. I know it cant be removed by just taking the bolts out so any suggestions?
Second, the fuel line hook up is different. On my 93 there are three spouts on the bottom. Two are just vent/overflow and one is tied into the main fuel line. On the new tank (97) there are only two spouts?
Third, there is a small threaded hole about six inches up from the hinge mount on the bottom of the new tank. My old tank does not have this?
Thanks for any help,
Bill

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Just peeked under the tank on my 95. It has two vent barbs, a screw in barb over at the side of the tank for the fuel line, and a little higher and nearer the right side than the center is a threaded boss where the fuel filter clamp screws to the tank. That is a lttle higher up than the fuel level sensor.

Some Monsters use a fuel filter that clamps to the underside of the tank and has a preformed "J" shaped hose from the outlet on the tank around to the far side of the filter. Then the line out of the filter exits at a right angle to the filter body and goes down to the fuel shutoff.

If it would help I can snap a digital pic a little later today and shoot it to you.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Hook the two hoses together that come out of the normal looking outlets & vent under the motor. There should be 2 threaded bosses where you mentioned, one on either side. The female one is a drain, & should be plugged with a bolt & washer like you would use for a brake assembly. The one with the male threads is for the outflow of gas & it uses a POS shut off valve unique to Ducati. it mounts with one right hand threaded peice & one left hand threade piece & is VERY easy to strip, so be careful. I believe the '97 filter was located on the frame, but as we all know, Ducati frequently did things differently even thru the same model year.
You might be able to drive a screwdriver into the gas lock & pop it that way, but if all else fails, drill it. When I steal tanks, I try to get the key at the same time.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
There are five screws around the filler on the outside and one on the inside that need to be removed to take the gas cap off.

If I were stuck with your problem, I would take the tank to a locksmith who can pick locks and have him open it. The alternative, if you don't really need to save the gas cap, is to stick a big screwdriver in there and break the lock.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
With the price of Ducati locks, I'd get estimates if necessary from 2 or 3 locksmiths to pick it and then maybe rekey it to match the ignition.

S

·
0 Posts
Another trick is trying a similar style key covered with a condom...this can be enough to trick the tumblers into moving and allowing the lock to turn....works on ignition locks as well ! ;)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.K. I think the threadded hole I mentioned is for the filter but I have an aftermarket inline one so that is not an issue. I understand about the drain plug which is sealed and the obvious main line that comes out of the side on the bottom. My question is why does my 93 tank have three nipples (the long kind that you use a hose clamp to secure a hose to) and the 97 tank only has two?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Got me. I never ask why when it comes to Italian engineering or British electrics.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, "Lucas Electric, home before dark"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts