Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to the point that my rear tire was used up enough that it was time to finish it off on the dyno.

Only significant engine mod is the glasspacks.

Results:

Red is with the "before" M710-003 map, Blue is the "after" custom map. Gain of about 2 to 3 HP bottom to top.

The dyno curve doesn't show "rideability", unfortunately.
I haven't done a lot of riding it "post tune", but it is running noticeably smoother and generally more civiized. Part throttle control is a lot easier, and the transition from closed throttle to slightly open is much smoother. That was the focus of the effort at this point, optimize it for rideability. It's no Gold Wing, but it's better.;D

It_was_nice to squeak over 100 HP to the rear wheel, though :)

It wasn't as hard on the rear tire as I thought it would be, but I still wouldn't want to do it on tire I was going to use afterward.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Hey Nick,
Did you think about opening the airbox since you were going to have a custom map done? I wonder if you could have squeaked a few more ponies out that way. Not that 100 horses isn't way more than enough. BTW, what type of tire(s) are you going with?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never tried a test ride with the airbox off to see if I liked the sound. From what everybody says, that will yield more power.
You are right, so far I'm pretty well convinced that 100 hp is adequate....

Got a set of Pirelli Diablos fitted, they seem good so far. But, it was just riding back home on surface streets and the freeway, so I have no real performance feedback yet.

I've got to take a little time to scuff 'em in carefully. There have been so many folks on this board bodysurfing asphalt in the last couple of weeks that I'm feeling a bit paranoid.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Speeddog, I'm just sitting here trying to visualize my dyno graph peaking somewhere around your middle. Good God man.

I put a rear Diablo and tested it in open sweepers and goat trails. Great traction, at least for my B pace. They seem slightly more rounded than the Metzlers. I actually chose it based on your post about the Dragon.

G

·
how much did it cost to get the custom map built? i've been considering it for my s4 but it's hard to pour even more money into the ol' gal... who am i kidding?!?! it's EASY to pour money into 'er, but getting past my loving/understanding/[email protected] wife might be tough ;)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although this won't help anybody outside the SoCal area, this is the place I got it done at:
http://dyno-dudes.com
They have the "automatic" software and dyno that's connected directly to the PCIII, so it will fill in the map on it's own. Sort of.
Regular price is 2 franklins. But I got $25 off 'cause I'm such a nice guy ;D. NOT! Got the spiff because I bought the PCIII there as well....

Strati, since you've got no airbox and custom built exhaust, I think it'd help your scooter quite a bit.
Can't help you on how to get it approved by your CFO :(

G

·
$175? schwing!!! way to go dude, that's a very reasonable price. hrm... harry's machine in mass is amazing with the PCIII so i've been thinking of tooting by, but i think they run over the $250 mark which makes it real tough to swallow.
while i was there dyno'ing a 900ss (not mine), the dyno guy showed me a curve off a hayabusa he built a map for... let's say there were extensive mods that pushed this bugger to over 300 RWHP. DAAAAAAMN!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$175? schwing!!! way to go dude, that's a very reasonable price. hrm... harry's machine in mass is amazing with the PCIII so i've been thinking of tooting by, but i think they run over the $250 mark which makes it real tough to swallow.
while i was there dyno'ing a 900ss (not mine), the dyno guy showed me a curve off a hayabusa he built a map for... let's say there were extensive mods that pushed this bugger to over 300 RWHP. DAAAAAAMN!
"Two and a half" is getting a little past the impulse purchase level. I'll be finding out soon if it really_was_worth the cake.

A while back, when I was running up at El Mirage and Bonneville, one of the guys had a 'busa. Looked stock, other than a pipe on it. It'd start on the button, sit and idle like a showroom stocker.
It ran well over 200 mph at both places. Absolutely sick. The guy lived there in the desert, and he'd test & tune out on some isolated road. At about 200. Figured a jackrabbit or a bird would eventually murder him.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts