Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sounds pretty awesome too. I wasn't really looking for a power upgrade, just basically a shorty version of the stock pipes with a little extra sound to it. I cut it down 8" from the factory length. I must say, at idle it is noticably louder and beefier sounding. At about 4000 RPM it sounds great too, the rest of the RPM's I can't hear it while I'm on throttle because i have an open airbox and that makes so much noise I can't hear anything else.

Just cruising though at like 70-80mph I noticed no difference in sound, which is great because that means the long highway trips won't be annoying. I"ll post some pics tomorrow

David

X

·
0 Posts
Someone (I believe S4Strati) does this. He calls it the ducati pipe mod, cheap alternative if you can afford slip ons or if the cost isn't worth it to you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know. I was originally planning on having him mod my pipes, but money is a little tight and I got antsy, so I did it myself. I couldn't really be any happier with the results

S

·
0 Posts
good stuff david! be sure to rivet those end caps on... they can be a bitch to snug back into the exhaust sleeves (rubber mallot is handy!), but you'd be surprised how easily they pop out under the pressure of the exhaust pulses.

W

·
0 Posts
I gotta say the obscenity filter here just cracks me up.

Pregnant do to snug back on... heheheheh

I think I'm gonna start a thread on acceptable alternate spelling for my favorite words!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Not big on censorship, I notice that even in my IM's on here, from other people they are tweaked :-/

N

·
0 Posts
Congrats on the chopped pipes!! now invest in some ear plugs :)

Nick - fellow Hooligan w/Strati Chops!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Congrats on the chopped pipes!! now invest in some ear plugs :)
WHAT?? DID YOU SAY SOMETHING??

Quote of the day: "Isn't a Ducati sort of like an Italian Buell?"
Hey, they -do- use the same taillamp. I've been asked 'Buell?' more than I'd like to admit.. Well.. YES, it is like an Italian Buell..except it's not....poo. :)

Strati - How's the pipemod workload? Are we sending too many pipes your way for you to get your S4 back together? With any luck I should have a 'core' pair to send you shortly. I don't suppose you have a stockpile of pre-modded, or ready-to-mod pipes around? That'd be wayyy too easy. :)

S

·
0 Posts
a stockpile of cans would make things simpler but i've blown too much $$$ on my s4 to afford spares. hahahah!!
it's not the pipe-mod workload delaying the s4's rebuild. it's this damn 2family my wife & i bought. tons of renovations that all have to be done YESTERDAY. argh... if you're ever considering going into real estate, DON'T!!! (unless you've got PLENTY of time)...

S

·
0 Posts
i had posted a week or two ago links to instructions/pics i had up on my site for DIY-types but honestly, my account's getting crunched for diskspace so i took them down. email me if you'd like some guidelines and at least "verbal" instructions.
([email protected])

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a link somewhere on the net for how to do them, read the instructions and improvised a little bit.

Bought a 10" cut off wheel for my chop saw at work and that really made the process fly. It took me less than an hour to do the whole deal. And about 5 minutes to reinstall them afterwards. The bike has a nice throaty rumble and I really like it. Kind of sounds like a flowmaster exhaust on a newer mustang if anyone here knows what that may sound like. I chopped them down about 8" too.

David

·
Registered
14 Posts
i was afraid to do this to my stock pipes so i bought one on ebay and chopped it. go the instuctions on www.geocities.com/calvin21222 was easy ... used a 14 chop saw with metal blade. then i took the pipe and polished it to chrome like shine with a firm cotton wheel and so white rouge.... took about 6 hours to polish and 45min to cut and put back together. bike is in the shop so i cant tell ya how they sound. but at ducatipipemod.com you can hear them

S

·
0 Posts
just as a note, if you want to polish your cans, save yourself a LOT of agony and strip the anodizing off the sleeves before hitting them with the buff... you can either sand it off or use an anodize stripping agent.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dare697:

If you did them like I did mine, which you most likely did since there don't seem to be too many ways to chop them, you'll love the sound.

Even with his Devil pipe, I can't hear my buddy on his R6 at all, between my open airbox and exhaust, I'm generally the loudest thing on the road wherever I go.

David

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I recently cut down a set of pipes by about 3 inches. The stock pipes have three chambers with the exhaust going to 1, through a tube to 3, back into 2, then through a tube and out. I did the equivalent of the half-pipe mod, allowing the exhaust to go out directly from chamber 3. It gives me the amount of sound that I want and the pipes don't look unnaturally short.

Quick instructions for what I did:

Remove the pipe from the bike, and remove the two bolts holding the exhaust hanger on. Get a thick board, like a 2x4, grasp the pipe by the sleeve, and pound the inlet against the wood until the sleeve slides down. On older pipes it will slide down about 4", on the newer ones only about 2".

Mark the sleeve where you want to cut, put tape on the side you want to keep, and carefully cut all the way around. Slice through everything about half an inch in from the end of the pipe. Slice through everything again about 1/4" up from where you cut the sleeve.

Slide the sleeve back into place using something softer than metal to pound it (like a piece of wood), then bolt the exhaust hanger back into place. Put the end cap into the end of the sleeve, drill a couple of holes and pop-rivet it into place (or you could use screws).

Put the pipes back on and enjoy.

I just used about 10 fine-toothed hacksaw blades to cut through my pipes, since I didn't have an appropriate power tool. The only issue I have is that I can see where exhaust is escaping at the edges of the sleeve. I'm going to take them all back apart, paint the sleeves black, put some hi-temp silicone around it to get a better seal, then put them back on again.

I'm still deciding if I want to run permanently with the modified pipes or go back to the louder carbon cans that I've been running for several years. For me at least, there is such a thing as too loud. 8)

S

·
0 Posts
hey scott,
yep... the high-temp silicone will fill the gap nicely. i actually just started using it for my pipe mods as it was never apparent to me before. you can goop a bit on with the sleeves backed toward the inlet. then slide the sleeves back into position and bolt the mounting brackets back on. wipe off the excess and let it firm up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
AllyCat said:
Not big on censorship, I notice that even in my IM's on here, from other people they are tweaked :-/

haha! I've previously read your quote ""If your going to be a Bitch, you need to be clear about what type of Bitch you are"..." and instead of Bitch, it read dog.

damn the NSA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts