Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a cherry s2r 800 that has been sitting covered in an inland San Diego garage for 4 years. The question now is what is the best way to revive the beautiful beast? This is my first Duc, so I'm a bit clueless about any make specific issues. My current plan:

-Drain and clean the tank and fuel lines.
-Clean the injectors.
-Pull the plugs, put a bit of oil in the cylinders, turn the crank first by hand and then by starter to lube the rings and minimize the damage from rust removal.
-Change the plugs, replace all fluids (bleeding where appropriate), and the oil filter.
-Replace the plugs, hit the starter button and pray.
-Once I'm riding the bike again, change the oil and oil filter after 20 miles.

*Eventually sell the aftermarket clip-ons and beautiful aluminum triple tree upper so I can convert it back to having handlebars.

BTW, I've already invested in a 46mm socket and crank tool. Also, I know to check the valves and change the belts every 6k miles or so. Why hasn't someone developed a heavy-duty kevlar belt that can go 12k miles?

What am I missing?

·
Registered
147 Posts
i have about 10 000 miles on my belts. been meaning to getting around to changing them.
new oil in the forks. and dude lets talk about the triple tree and clip ons.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Belt changes are recommended every 15k miles. I use California Cycleworks belts, but OEM belts last just as long. I believe Philb said he's gone over 20k miles on his belts.

I would inspect the current belts for wear or dry rot, then get the engine running briefly to make sure it runs, then shut it off and order new belts.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The belts may have taken a set in place bent around the pullies for years and when the engine starts and they have to flex the opposite way. This might cause cords to break so best thing would be to replace them before you start the bike, since they need to be changed anyway. Why risk it. I had perfectly good looking brand new belts hanging at work and when the sales rep bent them the opposite way they cracked.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The belts may have taken a set in place bent around the pullies for years and when the engine starts and they have to flex the opposite way. This might cause cords to break so best thing would be to replace them before you start the bike, since they need to be changed anyway. Why risk it. I had perfectly good looking brand new belts hanging at work and when the sales rep bent them the opposite way they cracked.
I thought about this, but I figured he'd see damage once he manually turned the motor. Regardless, this is a safer route. I'm just a little more of a risk taker and test things before putting them under load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts