Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so it's been about 2 months now since I crashed and started this process and after a few hiccups the last couple of days, I believe I'm 98% done! I just have a suspected oil leak from the horizontal cyl exhaust valve cover, I need to monitor the new SS engine bolts to make sure they hold their torque and don't back out, I've got a couple of pieces on the left side engine cover that I need to pull anodizing off of, and I need to wait about 6 weeks for the paint to really fully cure so I can apply my tank protector...

In case anyone's forgotten what she looked like after the crash, here's the whole story:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=55488.0

Of course, the first two things that got repaired were the frame at a local place here in Houston (luckily it was just the rear subframe that got tweaked, about $300 for the fix, not bad at all), and the right exhaust had to be bent back into the correct shape, so one of the machinists at work helped me and we tore the thing apart and bent stuff back by hand, good stuff! [thumbsup]

btw, OMG, having a machinist friend is INVALUABLE, highly recommended ;D

Made an order for some new parts from desmoworld to replace broken bits, then got some OEM help from bluemoco, EvilSteve, and NAKID! [thumbsup] Thanks fellas!

First thing that went out for repairs was my seat cowl, poor thing :-\, sent it out to Red Baron and he was able to repair the plastic and paint everything on and under clear where my old one's design was done in vinyl :p Absolutely stunning job and way cheaper than I expected too [thumbsup] (shown here with the professionally shaved down Sargent seat done by my neighbor who owns www.americandragseats.com ;))

Then while I waited on that, the same machinist friend helped me build up a new set of gauge pods to house the OEM stuff. Absolutely great guy, he even came in early on a Saturday with me just to get some of it done, couldn't ask for a nicer human being and friend [thumbsup] I'm so freakishly in love with these gauges it's not even funny [thumbsup]:

prelim:

finished:

[clap] [clap] [clap]

Of course I got some decal help from ducatibilt, who got some new decals made for my tank (that I sent off with the tank), seat cowl, and my bellypan (thanks man! came out REAL nice) and I got a bunch of my engine stuff powdercoated in matte black finally after making a color choice mistake :-X, but Steve out at www.southerncoastcustoms.com did an outstanding job for super cheap too! (only $140 for everything!) [thumbsup] (took the pics after I had already installed a couple of pieces)

Somewhere here is when my tank went out to be taken care of by ducpainter and WOW is the process better than I ever imagined. He's SUPER responsive and gives you pics all along the way, even had a few conversations with him close to midnight on some days! :eek: Here's a few pics in the process, HIGHLY recommend ducpainter's work:

I did end up stripping the threads out of the oil pressure sensor hole, but again, my friend came to my rescue and we came up with an awesome solution:

Now then, the 98% done piece (thumbnails clickable):

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Very nice. Especially that headlight [thumbsup] But just wondering why you didn't get the sprocket cover powdercoated with the rest of the stuff? Looks bad ass though, love those guage pods!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Very nice [thumbsup]

Is that a DP lower cowl or a Spareshack Monza?

Love how clean everything looks [clap]

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's a really, really nice lookin bike.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Excellent job! Great pics [clap]

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
dude, make me want to paint my bike yellow, great job [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Good on you Hiero!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice to see it looking all perfect again. I know it was a lot of work and you should be feeling extra proud of the results. Nice work Red Baron and Ducpainter [thumbsup]

I am glad you got it all back on the road and safe to ride again. [clap]

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Hiero, looks great all back together. Hope you get all the little details ironed out.

Thanks Landshark.

·
Registered
498 Posts
ALRIGHT HIERO! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! [clap] [clap] [clap]

DUCPAINTER, AND REDBARON, YOU GUYS REALLY OUT DID YOURSELVES! [clap] YOUR WORK IS ABSOLUTELY TITTS! [thumbsup]

OH, AND HIERO THE GAUGE CLUSTER IS THE DOGS BULLOCKS! >:D

SHE REALLY CAME TOGETHER BEAUTIFULLY, EVEN BETTER THAN BEFORE! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HER UP IN OURAY NEXT YEAR!!! ;)

·
Registered
781 Posts
That is badass. Good job on the color too. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Awesome. Congratulations, hiero. Your pre-crash bike was instantly one of my definite favorites on this board and this one I like even better. Every detail looks great, the white on the rear cowl, the white vertical "bars" behind the ducati lettering on the tank and the white lettering on the tires .... and the gauges! ... It all looks awesome.

Job very well done to you and all involved. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Does everyone like the gauge cluster?

Really?

.... 'cause I do too! Very very nice.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts