Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got Joe Rocket Phoenix pants and jacket for christmas and with the weather almost in the 70's today I got to try it out! They are awesome! They breathe very well, and come with some decent armor coverage. I definetely recommend

-Patrick

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I like my set, too. A lot of folks bad mouth them as not being as safe as leather, but quite a few reviews claim they did the job in a fall. Yeah, they probably have to be replaced after that fall, but they are cool enough to wear in any heat - no excuses.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I hate to dampen your enthusiasm, and almost didn't post this for that reason. However, I just can't withhold this.

I took this from the R6 forum re: the Phoenix jacket. Guy crashed his 748. He was going 45mph. I've been through 65mph-slides including subsequent tumbles down 45-degree inclines wearing a leather jacket and walked away without so much as a sore pinkie. Leather it is for me, always, no matter how hot it is out.

(Mildly) Graphic image alert.

-R.

http://pub114.ezboard.com/fyamahar6...essageRange?topicID=287.topic&start=1&stop=20

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
That's some nasty sh!t in those pix! :p Makes me re-think wearing my mesh kush-i-tani and only going with my perf. Vanson...

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Vanson Leather. Every time. Hot or Cold. No substitutes.
Dang, those pix are really disturbing. Yuk!

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Yeah, those pix make me uneasy about my JR. I lowsided at exactly 60 mph with no gear when I was 16. Lost all the skin on my back and right arm from wrist to elbow. Funny thing was that my Banlon shirt didn't have any damage at all - it had just pulled right up over my shoulders. Leather wallet wore in half - that literally saved my a$$.

I'll probably still wear my JR when it's really hot, but I'd feel a little better if I had a full waist zipper put in. I don't trust that little 8 inch zipper in back to hold the jacket down against what the guy in those pics did while sliding.

G

·
Are there any sites that do scientific tests on various MC safety gear? My heart goes out to the guy but I am reluctant to make a purchase decision based on anecdotal online stories.

I was thinking about picking up the JR Phoenix mesh jacket and pants for summer riding this year... I've enjoyed my JR Meteor 4.0 jacket and pants, though they are both far too warm for summer riding. I've never crash tested my gear, though, and hope not to.

Basically, I can't afford leathers.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Occasionally I see leathers dirt cheap on Ebay, both from individuals and from companies that use Ebay as a "backdoor" oulet to move excess stock.

It's worth the effort to check it regularly just in case. That's how I was able to get my daughter a set of womens' Spidi leathers and then turn around and get myself a set also a couple of weeks later. I actually have less money in my Spidi GTS 2-piece leathers than in my Joe Rocket Pheonix outfit.

Unfortunately the large numbers of Spidi oufits that were going on Ebay from Lockhart-Phillips (seller ID lpusa) stopped abruptly right at Christmas. Almost all of those that sold went for opening bid prices. Usually $300 - $450.

If a complete set is beyond reach, even good jackets can be found there too. Just a matter of watching, waiting, and checking the sellers' feedback before bidding on something.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Like Mark said, leather can be affordable if you look around. Definitely cheaper than doc bills.

You don't need extensive crash testing to understand that the mesh jackets are worthless (sorry Mark and whoever else had them, not bashing...). Just look at them. If you must go mesh, give Fieldsheer (sp.?) a look. I hear good things about their quality compared to JR.

About JR: I had the Speedmaster gloves and they completely wore through between the thumb and index finger within not even a year of normal use. And here's another internet report on a JR (leather) jacket. The cuffs split at the seams and allowed the sleeve to ride up - inexcusable for moto gear in my not-so humble opinion:

http://pub114.ezboard.com/fyamahar6messagenetfrm37.showMessage?topicID=447.topic

Back to mesh: I guess it's better than nothing if you're putting around town. But I'd rather walk than wear one on a motorcycle on the freeway or in the canyons.

-R.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've seen the results of a textile jacket after a crash and I have to say it did a very good job protecting my friend. If there was no armor it would have been a different story, but it saved him pretty big time. Yes, leather is better, but to say you won't ride in anything but is silly to me. The most important thing is how it fits! I would make a guess that the jacket the guy was wearing on the R6 forum was just too big for him and it rode up his torso as he slid. This can happen just as easily with leather...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I've seen the results of a textile jacket after a crash and I have to say it did a very good job protecting my friend. If there was no armor it would have been a different story, but it saved him pretty big time. Yes, leather is better, but to say you won't ride in anything but is silly to me. The most important thing is how it fits! I would make a guess that the jacket the guy was wearing on the R6 forum was just too big for him and it rode up his torso as he slid. This can happen just as easily with leather...
... and don't forget... matching jackets/pants usually zip together. Dainese 2-piece suits zip all the way around to the front.

G

·
Going down the road unprotected aint much fun (speaking from experience) and many years later the grafts still feel numb.It's gotta be solid leather for me.Let's face it,it does a pretty good job of holding a cow together. The guy in the photos is going to have some great battle scars to show the grandkids.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've seen the results of a textile jacket after a crash and I have to say it did a very good job protecting my friend.
What kind of textile? I'd love to have a Roadcrafter to ride around in, but I simply won't trust polyester.

but to say you won't ride in anything but is silly to me
Maybe silly, but I'm still [email protected] handsome after three BIG crashes thanks to quality gear ;D

I would make a guess that the jacket the guy was wearing on the R6 forum was just too big for him and it rode up his torso as he slid
That was brought up on the R6 forum in another thread. It was verified that the jacket fit him perfectly (showed pictures) and that the jacket disintegrated, not rode up (showed pics of the remains of the jacket). I wish I could find that other thread for you...

Anyway, it is not my intention to turn this into another SUV- or open-vs.-full-face-helmet-type discussion. I do sometimes compromise and wear jeans w/ gloves, boots, jacket and helmet when riding to the grocery store or to work - now THAT is silly. But not to worry: I'm looking for some (textile) overpants to take care of that problem as we speak.

I just think that polyester mesh will potentially do more harm than good.

-R.

G

·
I've recently been down in Vanson perfed pant and jacket .......maybe 45 to 50 lowside....I barely scraped the leather after a long side....Vanson leather rocks and they work well in the heat.
I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for protection and heat relief. The jacket also has a perf panel closure for cold weather riding.....

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but what is the difference between a mesh jacket and a textile?

mitt

G

·
The mesh is a textile jacket made out of mesh rather than a solid textile....from what I have seen the Joe Rocket is affordable.. but the fieldsheer has the best padding and is the highest quality mesh I've seen. My wife and I ride with JR Phoenix jackets...haven't tried crashing one yet....

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I've recently been down in Vanson perfed pant and jacket .......maybe 45 to 50 lowside....I barely scraped the leather after a long side....Vanson leather rocks and they work well in the heat.
I ride in nothing but Vanson. The stuff is really tough-even the perf leather.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but what is the difference between a mesh jacket and a textile?
Textile: usually any moto gear that's not leather. Poly mesh falls into that category, as does Cordura (the "textile" you want).

-R.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts