Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had the headers on their bikes done in any kind of coating like "Jet Hot" or some similiar product?

G

·
Is that the Ceramic coating? A guy at the local shop was telling me about this, it is suppose to maintain the heat in the pipes to create better flow as well as add color.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
It works. I've done that to 3 of my bikes. It reduces the heat by 200 degrees. I use HPC in Utah.
How does it reduce the heat?

mitt

G

·
JET HOT SU<KS!!!!!!!BAD COMPANY TO DEAL WITH!!!!!!POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!SCREWED UP ON 3 SEPARATE ORDERS!!!!!!

I switched to HPC, work was done better, cheaper, faster, and the didn't lose a $1500 set of Buick GN stage 3 headers!

The principal is, that it retains the exhaust heat in the pipe, hot gasses move through the pipe faster, which increases flow, which builds power. Prob won't matter much on a street bike, though.
If you have it done, have them do inside, as well as outside.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I've used Perfomance Coatings a couple of times and have nothing but good to say about them.

http://www.performancecoatings.com/

They did my headers in Chromex and Laura's in Grey Ice. Both still look great.

Here's my headers and S-pipes in Chromex and the flanges are ceramic coated black.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
About $100 for the whole thing including return shipping.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input! Sounds like I'll add it to my list too! Maybe, Black coated headers and S-pipes(when I get high mount exhaust) and Black anodized cans!!! could be very cool! Or chrome pipes and chrome cans! very harley-esque

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Fillmore,

I've gotta have the Gray Ice job!

Any tips on how to package that unwieldy thing for safe shipping?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
It's not really that unwieldy. The pipe that goes to the vertical cylinder comes off. See:

I think the box that I put them in was about 12x18x24 and I just packed them in styrofoam peanuts. (put the small parts in a zip-lock bag and tape over the open ends so the headers don't get filled with styrofoam)

I got them back in like a week and they came back in the box that I sent them in.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I see. That takes if from a 3D problem to a 2D problem...
much more manageable.

The perfcoat site also says to clean and disassemble parts to avoid extra charges.

What did you do in the way of cleaning? Are we talking about finding a place to sandblast or is it just a matter of cleaning it off with a scotchbrite pad?

·
Registered
400 Posts
It's not really that unwieldy. The pipe that goes to the vertical cylinder comes off.
I think the box that I put them in was about 12x18x24 and I just packed them in styrofoam peanuts. (put the small parts in a zip-lock bag and tape over the open ends so the headers don't get filled with styrofoam)

I got them back in like a week and they came back in the box that I sent them in.

--Fillmore
Did you do any prep on the pipes such as beadblasting the insides or the exterior?

G

·
I've had other pipes done in the past but have been reluctant to do it while running carbon cans.
Seems a lot of heat to pump through carbon.

Anyone have experience there?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Hmmm,

that's a good question. I have CF cans too. Hadn't considered the effect of elevated exhaust gas temps.

OTOH, while metal cans would hold up to the heat, they'd probably get even "burnier" with coated headers. That's not really desirable either.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The perfcoat site also says to clean and disassemble parts to avoid extra charges.

What did you do in the way of cleaning? Are we talking about finding a place to sandblast or is it just a matter of cleaning it off with a scotchbrite pad?
Did you do any prep on the pipes such as beadblasting the insides or the exterior?
I just sprayed some kitchen cleaner on them an hosed them off. Remember, they do all kinds of automotive parts and I think that they just don't want to get a big greasy mess.

No prep is necessary. They media blast them before coating them. This is from their website:
"All pieces are first sandblasted with garnet and walnut shell media inside and out to ensure the removal of any foreign matter that could impede proper application, and then re-blasted with aluminum oxide to give the surface the perfect tooth for the coating to adhere to.

G

·
(siiiiiigh) ........that's what I was afraid of.

Ah well, it's ONLY money, right?

The old woman gets wind of this though and it'll be a bed roll in the garage for me!

G

·
(siiiiiigh) ........that's what I was afraid of.

Ah well, it's ONLY money, right?

The old woman gets wind of this though and it'll be a bed roll in the garage for me!

that just means you will be closer to your beloved. She would never do that! Its like getting permission to visit the mistress!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts