Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Monster 696 has developed a jerky throttle response. For the first few minutes after a cold start, everything seems fine. But then gets bad once it's warmed up. It sometime feels sluggish off the line and it stalls when idling. It also backfires occasionally.

It appears that the horizontal cylinder is not always firing. This seems to lead to low rpm at idle and poor throttle response. The jerkiness comes when the horizontal ignition intermittently works and then stops every a few seconds.

My first thought was that it was the spark plug. Changing the spark plug didn't help. The horizontal spark plug was black, but the vertical plug looked fine. So, the sparking in the horizontal cylinder just seems to come and go.

I'd appreciate suggestions for what could be going on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yup, it's a monster 696 for sure :LOL:
1: Delete the evaporative system (20 minutes, tutorials on youtube)
2: Get the ECU flashed by rexxer or get a dyno tune.

The ECU runs the bike at proper fueling when starting, then once it heats up it changes the map to a lean condition. I'm willing to bet it fires perfectly when you roll on the throttle hard. That is a function of the acceleration position sensor that increases fuel mix. Wrapping your horizontal cylinder with some fiberglass exhaust wrap will help balance out the temperature difference between the vertical and horizontal cylinders which may help with consistent firing too.

all in all, your evap system is sucking charcoal into your horizontal cylinder and your mapping is too lean

It may also be a good idea to have your throttle and acceleration position sensors calibrated, that may be the cause of the stalling at idle and misfiring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Thanks, this is really interesting. I've been wondering about that charcoal cannister mounted on the lower front left of the bike. None of the documentation I have mentions it at all. Its just a California mystery part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, it's a monster 696 for sure :LOL:
1: Delete the evaporative system (20 minutes, tutorials on youtube)
2: Get the ECU flashed by rexxer or get a dyno tune.
These are interesting ideas I hadn't been aware of. I was starting to get annoyed at the idea that whenever something goes wrong, I may have no ability to repair it myself because of the ECU.

Will I be able to do more work on the bike myself if I use Rexxer or Dyno Tune? I will definitely look into those!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ECU runs the bike at proper fueling when starting, then once it heats up it changes the map to a lean condition. I'm willing to bet it fires perfectly when you roll on the throttle hard.
The jerking happen from a stop or while riding at high speed.

I'm wondering if the ECU could have been damaged. But I don't think so because a mechanic recently told me that the ECU is usually not a big problem for diagnosis of this kind of problem. He said that's because if the ECU was damaged, the bike just wouldn't run at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts