Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a jacket. I want to stay under 200 bucks. I've found several that i really like the look of. Only problem is, i'm not sure how well they'll breathe during the summer months in texas. Dont want to sacrifice my skin when the temp goes up by not wearing a jacket. Anybody have suggestions on a jacket that will protect well and breathe well at the same time? Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Hi Jon,

Take a look at the mesh jackets that are out. Joe Rocket, First Gear and others all have them now. I have a First Gear and it's the only way to go in this Texas heat we have. Paid about $140 for mine. Joe Rocket is nice as well. Need to just try some on and see what feels comfortable. I think that the First Gear came out first in the MCN report a while back. From what I hear they will save your hide if you go down....hope that I don't get to test this first hand! :eek:

Mark
Belton, Tx

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I just recieved my Fieldsheer Mach 1 jacket last week and had a chance to used it in 85F weather over the weekend. I was very impressed with the fit and ventilation. It's also very lightweight and has all the right body armor. Another plus is that you can velcro the arm sleeves in 2 places for a tight fit.
Oh yeah, comes with a zip out liner for cooler weather.

jackets sizes are 38-52. I'm 5'8" med build and size 40 is what I got.

I found a website that are selling them for $103, i don't know if that includes shipping or not...

http://www.parts411.com/acb/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=83&DID=9&GS=FIELDSHEER

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check out the Alpine Stars AIR FLOW, I just got back from a ride its 83 right now in NY and I was very very comfortable w/ just a polo shirt under, and it also comes w/ a removable lining if you don't want to have all that AIR FLOW....any body have the Air Flow pants, I'm assuming they work the same way...

Oh by the way Air FLow was about $150

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to a motorcycle gear shop in dallas and looked at what they had. Ended up getting a silver/black Fieldsheer Mach 1 jacket for about 140. Got to test it out this afternoon when i rode to another shop to get some riding gloves. Excellent ventilation. Heats up when you're sitting at a stop light but there's nothing you can do about that. Thanks for the tips guys.

-Jon

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hi Jon,

I know you want to stay under $200, however I would suggest you look at the TourMaster Magnum Air perforated leather jacket. It has all the protection of leather and comes with CE approved armor including the back. At $225.00, it is hundreds less than Vanson and others. I just rode in it today with my rain suite on top of it. A bit warm, but not really bad. I really like the quality and the fit of the jacket. And having used mesh (2 different ones; Joe Rocket, Motoboss) and textile (2 different ones; Frank Thomas, TourMaster) over the last 3 years, I really like this jacket.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I bought a Fieldshier Titanium Air to use when I lived in Dallas, Texas. Dude the heat there is INSANE in the summer, and as long as I was moving that jacket was kick ass. I doubt ANY leather jacket would be "cool enough" in that nightmare summer humidity.

I bet you could get one used pretty damn cheap, I don't think it was that much NEW to be honest. I bought it at MotoLiberty in Dallas.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I have the Fieldsheer Mach one with the leather patches, got it last year. It works very well. My buddy crashed one last year @ 70-80, lowsided off the road. Jacket was toast but he didn't even have a rash or mark on him.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a custom fitted vanson vent jacket. This is the jacket with full cordura sleeves and a mesh torso. It has armour and the elbows are lined with leather ... so I am told ... I havent checked. Like most vent jackets ... it is very comfortable as long as your moving and tends to heat up when sitting at traffic lights. I really like this jacket a lot. I highly recommend custom jackets. If you can afford to wait for several months for your jacket to arrive then you can get a jacket that fits really really well.

I wasn't just looking for a summer jacket. I wanted a jacket that could provide bonifide protection while not heating up too badly in the Texas summer months. I was looking for several things: full fabric sleeves that would keep the armor in position if I had a spill, lots of mesh for cooling, comfortable fit, as little velcro as possible and real armor. I wound up ordering a custom jacket because most jackets are way too long and bulky. The jacket should end just above your belt, perhaps a bit of an overlap, and be just a bit loose. Otherwise, it rides up on your hips when riding and bulges out in front. Anyway ... the vanson vent worked for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts