Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6,000 miles, I think I need something more... This is my fourth bike and first sport bike. I like the 620, got it lowered just enough to tiptoe; but I want more...bike. Is there anything else out there for my short frame??

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
4feet11inches said:
After 6,000 miles, I think I need something more... This is my fourth bike and first sport bike. I like the 620, got it lowered just enough to tiptoe; but I want more...bike. Is there anything else out there for my short frame??
do you feel you have mastered the bike and have outgrown it's potential and find yourself riding the bike on the roof of its limitations all the time?....or why do you think you want more bike?....here's an example of someone pushing a 620's limits...

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm short and recently got a sportbike.

Not that I've out grown my 620 but I wanted another bike. I wanted a
bike for the track - one that I prep once and is always track-ready.

I looked at the R6, 748, 749, Triumph 675, Kawasaki ZX6R. With the
exception of the '05 or earlier R6, I can't even have one foot tip toe.
For the track, that's all I need - one foot tip toe. But none of the
bikes I mentioned above would work for me.

Then a couple of people suggested that I get custom suspension - if
the suspension is tailored to my weight (116 lbs without gear), the
bike may be lowered enough for me to have one foot tip toe. I chose
the 675 for this experiment (love the look and for my ability, it's
better for me). The stock front and rear springs were replaced with
ones right for my weight. Some travel (in the front) was taken out
because in theory with my weight, I don't need all that travel. All
that lowered the bike 1.5 inches. The 675 comes with a seat that
is pretty soft/thick so I had some foam cut out. Shaving the seat
gave me 1/2 inch. Because the suspension is set up for me, when
I sit on the bike, it actually drops a little, like 1/2 inch.
So now, not only can I one foot tip toe, I have half a foot down.
This is enough for me to ride even in the streets :)

You can do suspension work on any bike.

I've taken the 675 over some bumpy pavement and it hasn't
bottomed out. Remember, this was an experiment. I am waiting
until I take it to the track once before saying more. But so
far so good. The story here is: consider suspension work
to bring the bike lower for you. Good luck :) Keep us posted
on your decision.

·
Registered
285 Posts
4feet11inches said:
Hey

What about the new 695 I have read a lot about these and there are a few people in here that have actually seen one, and have got one. I'll try and find the person I spoke to about hers, she was getting it lowered for her height as well, it's Lillith the thread is "DRUM ROLL" have a read, I asked her how she was going with it as I'm pretty short 5 foot and I'm not a skinny person either. I have a 600 and am thinking of what I could get to replace it I'm going to have a look at these when they finally get to Tassie :-\.

Also the new (dare I say it) BMW F800 Sports (which is a naked bike and they are comparing them with Monsters) or Sports Tourer (which is semi faired bike with a bit more sportier position) look pretty good but their seat height is a bit steep but I think you can get them lowered as well, I am going to have a sit on one and see, my hubby rides a K1200RS and they just do everything well ::). Anyways have a look at Lillith's thread. Also it has been suggested like on here to just put a bigger engine in the frame I've got [thumbsup]

Cheers Egas Happy Hunting ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I might be biased, but I'd suggest the 695. Same frame etc, and you can get it lowered just like the 620. I've got a 695 with the full termignoni system with high pipes, some nice low clubman bars from Suburban Machinery, and a 14T front sprocket and it performs really well. With the tail chop I did (I was surprised to weigh what I took off and find that it was over 8lbs of stuff), and the lighter exhaust the bike definitely feels lighter, and it's now running about 83 or 84 hp. Considering that me and the bike together weigh probably only about 450lbs, the combined effect is quite a decent power to weight ratio. Now I am not pushing it to it's limits for sure, but I've scraped the outside of my boot a few times in tight turns. And if that becomes more of an issue, I'll just get rearsets that are higher, and there shouldn't be much to drag. To be honest, I don't think I could really outgrow this bike on the road easily anyway without losing my license. The options for short people are just not that many I'm afraid. So if I were you, I'd stick with the chassis you know you can deal with, and look at what you can do to modify it to move the limits of the performance you've outgrown.

Just my 2c

Murph

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
When I felt I outgrew the capabilities of the 620, I bought a 749. Had that about year, sold it, then bought a Triumph 675. Love both of them! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
333 Posts
<<mild threadjack>>

hey shemonster,
i saw your 749 up for sale...beautiful bike! just wondering why you sold it so quickly and moved to the triumph. i'd love to get a full fairing bike soon...
thanks,
julie

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I totally regret selling the 749 now. I sold it as I was planning on moving out of the country for a couple of years, but that plan fell through after I had already sold it. :'( So, needing a new speedy bike, and not wanting to wait for the 1098 looked at a lot of different bikes. I loved riding the S4RS, but simply do not like how the radiator looks on it. Wanting to stay with European bikes, the 675 was next on the list.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Howzit from South Africa [thumbsup]

The crazy thing about speed is that we all out grow it. I do not think you can ever get enough of it. I also upgraded to 900 Monster, a short arse like you but have kept my “Racing bike” for town and short breakfast runs. The 900 I use for rallies and those fast breakfast runs, with HA and my bike Club CroxCrue. With CroxCrue when riding in a pack, we ride only as fast as the slowest bike.

It all depends on what you want out of biking, is it the brother/sister hood, the general feeling of freedom or speed. I love all three.

Never Ride faster than your Angel can fly >:D

·
Registered
333 Posts
SheMonster said:
I totally regret selling the 749 now. I sold it as I was planning on moving out of the country for a couple of years, but that plan fell through after I had already sold it. :'( So, needing a new speedy bike, and not wanting to wait for the 1098 looked at a lot of different bikes. I loved riding the S4RS, but simply do not like how the radiator looks on it. Wanting to stay with European bikes, the 675 was next on the list.
well that is good to hear...i thought you didn't like the way it handled or something...can't go wrong either way...i always love the triumph too and now i'm droolong over your roomies 748...i always liked that fairing style too...ackkkk...so many nice bikes...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The 748 is a beee-u-ti-ful bike, unfortunately the ergos kinda blow. That was one of the things they changed on the 749/999's. My 749 was as comfy as my Monster to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
shemonster...have you ever ridden a brutale ? :D

the 910s are just stunners...
(but im not complaining in the least bout my 7fitty one )

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
spankee said:
shemonster...have you ever ridden a brutale ? :D

the 910s are just stunners...
(but im not complaining in the least bout my 7fitty one )
No, I haven't had the pleasure of actually riding one, but my Duc/Triumph dealer also sells MV's so every time I go there I have an immediate attack of the drools.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Throw in a bigger engine, do some mods...hey you can even redue the heads/ pictons etc....and call it a day!! People get too stuck on how many cc's they have --- you can get this bike to Zoom Zoom!!! Mine does!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts