Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Seems I broke My helemt before I got to use it :p

Was kinda wiping it down the other night and accidentally dropped it

It's a hjc cl-14 and it hit the left rachety thing on the visor...

When I went to open the visor to check that it worked the left side popped out and spit a little chip of black plastic at me

Got the visor back in but....everytime i open it it pops out of the helmet.......

Tis Broken!! :(

Makes me wonder 'bout the helmet...heheh :p ::)

can you like oreder a new mechanism or do I just live with the fact that my visor won't open ???? is it safe????....feels solidly in there so it works but bummer..... :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i was always told a dropped helmet is useless, because its job is to prevent one impact (your head hitting the ground or a car), absorbing the blow by breaking apart. if it's already been dropped, a small invisible crack could form in the shell, and if you got in a real accident the effectiveness would be greatly reduced.

but, yours was hit on the visor housing thing? i have that same helmet, and when i changed visors from clear to mirrored it wouldn't stay in for the life of me (kept popping out). i just kept putting it back in and one day it clicked a little better and hasnt come out since. try that maybe? took me 10 or 20 tries if i remember.

what could have broken off is that switch that locks the visor in place. i dunno if you can order that piece of plastic by itself, but even if you could replacing it would be a pain. if you have the money i'd just buy a new helmet, if only for the peace of mind

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dropping the helmet on to a hard surface from reasonable heights (>1m/3 feet) may
damage the paint, and the shell laminate. Small scratches or marks on the painted surface
are unlikely to affect the performance of the helmet. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it fell from my lap to the concrete and landed square on the rachet gizmo on the side of the visor......didn't really damage anything but the gizmo, and a scratchy scuff on the edge of the helmet

I think the integerty is okay but thats wierd that the visor would just bust like that, it wierd cuase when i physically pull that side of that visor as i open it, it works

if i do it one handed it pops out....I can see where the little plastic piece broke out but the visor is still functional sooo could just be user error...most likely.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you know someone you can always x-ray the helmet.......not sure on the HJC's but you should be able to find the part I would think.....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yea same thing with me. i would slide it in, and when i used both hands to evenly lift it, it worked fine. but once i was on the road and used my left hand on that little tab, it would pop off on the right side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey what IS the deal with dropping a helmet?

I dropped mine a few weeks ago (as I was getting ready to hop on my bike) and my buddy was all, "bummer, it's ruined now..."

and I was kinda thinking - what sense would that make, to have it break on a 3 foot drop when it's designed to withsand a high mph crash. is this just an old wive's tale sort of thing?

I mean, I know they're designed to destroy themselves to absorb the impact... but 3 feet? ???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.