Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
:( Seems I broke My helemt before I got to use it :p

Was kinda wiping it down the other night and accidentally dropped it

It's a hjc cl-14 and it hit the left rachety thing on the visor...

When I went to open the visor to check that it worked the left side popped out and spit a little chip of black plastic at me

Got the visor back in but....everytime i open it it pops out of the helmet.......

Tis Broken!! :(

Makes me wonder 'bout the helmet...heheh :p ::)

can you like oreder a new mechanism or do I just live with the fact that my visor won't open ???? is it safe????....feels solidly in there so it works but bummer..... :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i was always told a dropped helmet is useless, because its job is to prevent one impact (your head hitting the ground or a car), absorbing the blow by breaking apart. if it's already been dropped, a small invisible crack could form in the shell, and if you got in a real accident the effectiveness would be greatly reduced.

but, yours was hit on the visor housing thing? i have that same helmet, and when i changed visors from clear to mirrored it wouldn't stay in for the life of me (kept popping out). i just kept putting it back in and one day it clicked a little better and hasnt come out since. try that maybe? took me 10 or 20 tries if i remember.

what could have broken off is that switch that locks the visor in place. i dunno if you can order that piece of plastic by itself, but even if you could replacing it would be a pain. if you have the money i'd just buy a new helmet, if only for the peace of mind

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dropping the helmet on to a hard surface from reasonable heights (>1m/3 feet) may
damage the paint, and the shell laminate. Small scratches or marks on the painted surface
are unlikely to affect the performance of the helmet. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
it fell from my lap to the concrete and landed square on the rachet gizmo on the side of the visor......didn't really damage anything but the gizmo, and a scratchy scuff on the edge of the helmet

I think the integerty is okay but thats wierd that the visor would just bust like that, it wierd cuase when i physically pull that side of that visor as i open it, it works

if i do it one handed it pops out....I can see where the little plastic piece broke out but the visor is still functional sooo could just be user error...most likely.....

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
If you know someone you can always x-ray the helmet.......not sure on the HJC's but you should be able to find the part I would think.....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yea same thing with me. i would slide it in, and when i used both hands to evenly lift it, it worked fine. but once i was on the road and used my left hand on that little tab, it would pop off on the right side.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yea, i would just keep putting it on and off until it sticks. i didn't do it with a piece of plastic missing, but if it doesnt stick after 30 or 40 tries, its definitely busted. is it under warranty still?

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
hey what IS the deal with dropping a helmet?

I dropped mine a few weeks ago (as I was getting ready to hop on my bike) and my buddy was all, "bummer, it's ruined now..."

and I was kinda thinking - what sense would that make, to have it break on a 3 foot drop when it's designed to withsand a high mph crash. is this just an old wive's tale sort of thing?

I mean, I know they're designed to destroy themselves to absorb the impact... but 3 feet? ???

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
maybe this would be something to call the manufacturer on. granted, they may steer towards buying another helmet just for liability, but they could explain the science of all this stuff to you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts