Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions regarding Pipe wrapping...
1. Is it waterproof ? (I don't want rusty pipes)
2. What's the best kind of wrap? (I've seen different thicknesses and widths)
3. What's a good price?
4. Do I only need to wrap up to where the slip-ons attach, or all the way to the can?

Thanks in advance...

S

·
0 Posts
What are you going to wrap? It makes a difference. Also, be aware that wrapping can have side effects.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Questions regarding Pipe wrapping...
1. Is it waterproof ? (I don't want rusty pipes)
2. What's the best kind of wrap? (I've seen different thicknesses and widths)
3. What's a good price?
4. Do I only need to wrap up to where the slip-ons attach, or all the way to the can?

Thanks in advance...
1. No its not waterproof, in fact you soak it in water to install it properly. Arent your pipes stainless???
2. Ive always used the Thermo Tech stuff and I get it from Jegs online. I use the 1" wide stuff as its easier to wrap the tight bends.
3. Its usually about 20 bucks for a 1"x50' roll
4. I wrap the entire exhaust on my racebikes.

Heres a blurb on exhaust wrap, from Thermo Tech.

Think of exhaust gases as a piston moving down through the tubular system. As each pulse travels down the system, it creates a vacuum behind itself. The negative pressure behind each is the scavenging effect. As the velocity of the pulse increase, the negative pressures also increase. As you have an increase in velocity, the length of time that you have a negative pressure in the system is increased. The net result of high velocity to assist in scavenging is increased performance of the intake and exhaust system.
Maintaining higher exhaust temperatures throughout the system increases performance in many ways. Think of exhaust gases as a heavy liquid such as an oil additive. If the liquid were traveling down a tubular system in a cold state, it would move very slowly. If you heat the liquid, the density of the fluid changes. The liquid responds to the heat increasing its velocity. Exhaust gases respond in the same manner. Higher temperatures in a system increase the flow of the system. If the liquid is allowed to cool in the system, it slows the flow of the liquid. By this illustration, you can now see the importance of maintaining higher temperatures in an
exhaust system.

*How does wrapping headers increase horsepower?

Wrapping the headers maintains exhaust gas heat within the header. This translates into more exhaust flow due to maintaining exhaust temperatures as it flows out of the engine. By improving the scavenging of spent gases, the engine breathes more efficiently. This reduces contamination of gases, thus allowing the engine to develop more power.

*Why do you use only a 1/4 inch overlap and nothing more?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
here's a pic... has anyone else had this problem?? I ride rain or shine...
Thats not rust, thats just the way they get. You could always Scotchbite it and polish it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You should just ceramic the pipes not wrap or do both. Plus wrapped pipes don't look that good on bikes.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The good thing about wrapping is, I can always unwrap if I don't like it... I don't think it'll look that bad... anyone with pics so I can see?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
You can't really avoid the rust if you ride everyday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts