Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
After learning from the CA DMV that a new vehicle purchased out of state is required to pay sales tax here in CA as part of the registration process, I was irked to say the least. That would be around $550 dollars plus fees. After getting my 2K3 620 dark for $5200 from NY I was a little better about the "total" (tax + fees) cost of the bike and how it still was much lower all things considered than from a local dealer... But still I was miffed.....Till I learned of a nice little CA loophole. If a new vehicle is purchased out of state but for "some reason" it is not delivered or arrives here in california till after 90 days from the date of purchase...you do not have to pay sales tax!! Actually it was a nice gentlemen at the DMV who tipped me off to this. His advice, back in December was to just store the bike in my garage for the 90 days (yea right) and then bring it in. So today, at day 92, after being cool and putting a measly 550 miles on the bike since 12/16/03, I took it in and got it registered...and they waived the sales tax indeed!!! Only $120 for fees includind reassigning my personal plate!! Seems as though Ive had some angels on my side with this whole duc buying experience! First, the strange but amazingly true, new in crate 2k3 620 deal of the year, and now no tax. Maybe today is LUCKY!! Happy St. Patty's

·
Registered
915 Posts
I wish that would have worked here....my dealer is right across the state line.

gnew

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sweet! If you wouldn't mind doing a little research on the 'ol federal income tax for us..THAT would be great. I think you are qualified and officially nominated. ;D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
dang, that woulda saved me 600 bucks last year. but, i guess its worth it to be able to ride during the 3 summer months i would have had to park it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts