Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;D After about a month and a half of rebuilding the top end of my 97 M900, including cylinder replating, new hi comp pistons, rings, etc, etc, I finally was able to finish putting it back together last evening, the exhaust system and tank being the last few major pieces to reinstall. I finished tiddying up all the hoses and wiring along the way and I finally got the nerve to attempt to start it, and. . . it ran!!! Hallelujah! It not only runs, it seems to run really well. Based on someone's advice (?) I let it warm up to operation temp (15-20 minutes) and shut it off to cool down. Did that again this morning and so I guess the next step will be to put some initial miles on it.

Thanks to the several of you that provided answers to my many questions, your advice and good sources of parts and such along the way. Couldn't have done it without you. A special thanks to Christ from ca-cycleworks, the folks at Seattle Ducati (pistons, top end gasket kit, freeze plugs and several other things) and the crew at Mellineum Technologies who reworked my cylinders and fit the new pistons. Thanks to all. I'm looking forward to many fun miles on "old yeller".

And a special "raspberry" to my local Ducati dealer that evidently doesn't give a crap about any repeat business from their ever dwindling population of customers--for the numerous times they failed to call me back as they said they would and for just jerking be around at every opportunity and for not having a clue what was wrong with my bike and for just throwing parts and labor at it and then having the balls to charge me as if they knew what was wrong and had actually fixed the thing. I will never darken their door again.

S

·
0 Posts
sweet... good for you dude! and be sure to post your riding impressions when you get out there. man... if i didn't think my wife would kill me, i'd love to shoe-horn a 955 kit into the ol' s4 this winter. *sigh*...

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Congrats! :D Not many things are as satisfying as putting an exotic machine back together and having it run cleanly straight away.

After that project, sounds like you won't need the dealer any more - just some good parts sources.

M

·
0 Posts
Congratulations and kudos on a job well done! You should consider compiling a price sheet on all the stuff you did and send it to your jerk dealer with a note letting them know what they missed out on by treating you so bad. Of course nothing beats the satisfaction of doing a job well yourself anyway. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Congrats Bro!!

It's quite the good feeling of accomplishement to hear that wonderfull engine fire up after all the hard work. I'll post a second shout out to Ducati Seattle as well. I'm lucky enough to live pretty close to them and have always had great experiences dealing with them.

-dj

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
A special thanks to Christ from ca-cycleworks,

Chris go a promotion?

congrats on a job well done [smiley=waytogo.gif].

1 - 6 of 6 Posts