Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it may be time for the monster to go.

i went to start it this morning, to ride to rhodeside tonight, turns over, nothing catches, wait, turns over, choke, nothing, wait, turns over, smoke and electrical fire smell. nothing catches, battery dies.

this is the last in a long string of electrical probs. i'm moving in a couple weeks to DC, i won't have a cushy place to work on the bike any more, i have to renovate my entire "new" house, and i'm tired of this.

i think i'll store it until spring, back in my folks garage, then put her out to pasture. time to move on, more grown up matters pressing these days. better yet, time to find the next ducati i'm going to buy at the demo day. [thumbsup] that will have to wait a while though.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
HAng in there bro.... If you dont have a sealed battery check your water levels. You are on the right track in any event. You purchased a home in dc. If you ask me you are doing ok. You know the carbies are special and you have to be patient with them .The motorcycle is secondary at this point.
Congrats on your home . [thumbsup] dc

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, she's dead again. this time stranded me at a gas station on the way to work. spent all weekend checking things over, charging etc, searching out stripped wires, and had her running. today, she started, and then after gas, hit the go button and.... nothing.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
One issue that the 900s have that Zooom told me about was a connector on the starter solenoid likes to wander. It'll come off now and then leaving you with a starter that won't start...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like the regulator/rectifier to me. It has failed and drains your battery to zero charge everytime you re-charge it. Check the connectors, but you will likely need a new r/r. Consider hard wiring it when you put the new one in. This is very common on 90's era Ducs.

Ah, the agony and the ecstasy, the highs and lows are part of what makes Ducati ownership so rewarding. :p

BTW the r/r is a weak link on Honda VFR's too. I don't think anyone would call a VFR unreliable.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my fear is the regulator, it's gone before, this is a new one, two years old. though i had the whole thing rewired at that time and this one is an aftermarket, non ducati part (suposedly better) uh, lets see there were also the relays that were replaced recently so i'm not inclined to think it's them... seeing a pattern here...

we'll see though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts