Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened. I went down today. No damage to me except ego. Bike faired pretty well for the most part. It has a dent in the tank and the rear brake lever is shot and I lost a blinker, but it could have been worse.

I think it was a combination of a lot of thing. Was one my way back from a really long ride, not much food for the day, and visor was dirty. I was on a road I had never been on and suddenly a corner that after the accident occured I was thinking was weak, but before looked bad. Grabbed the brakes and started to slide. It was all over from there. I took a flight over the handle bars once the front tire hit the soft dirt of the shoulder. Was maybe doing 15 to 20 when I went off the road.

O'well, I needed to have the bike painted anyway and hopefully this will teach me to slow down.

Does anybody know of a place that can pull a dent or use air pressure to get one out. I will also need recommendations for a really good painter. Hopefully I will not have to claim this on the insurance.

Things needed:
New bars
Dent pulled from tank
Bike painted
Rear brake lever
New blinkers all around
and might as well have the pipes cored while I am waiting for paint.

Everybody be safe out there. Out..........

·
Registered
461 Posts
You ride.
You fall down.
You get up again.
You ride.

The eternal cycle.

Glad you weren't hurt bad enough you couldn't write about it.

-Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dent in the tank seems to happen everytime. I dropped my bike a few months back, got the tank dent, bent handlebars, bent gear shift and broken front blinker. I have since installed frame sliders to prevent further damage.

ciao

Missy

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok.
On the bright side, now is a great time to install some mods, like clip-ons and rearsets ;D
Good luck.
T.

H

·
0 Posts
Drop it on the other side so you have maching dents. You don't want a "push" at high speeds!

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
The dent in the tank seems to happen everytime.
Hence the Tank Ding FAQ. If you decide to pull the ding, once Norm's done, let me know what painter you used and I'll add it to the database.

Also glad you're OK. Just out of curiosity, what were you wearing gear-wise?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Now that you have christened your bike and yourself proper you can start with the improvements ! Glad to hear you came through with minor pains. NO PAIN NO GAIN.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Sorry to hear about the downing.......

Glad you're not hurt, and glad the bike's not hurt too bad.

About the ding... put some flashing LED lights elsewhere on the bike to attract attention away from it... no problem. ;D

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago...... Bent the bars, the tank, and broke the shifter....

a fellow DML member sold me his old gear lever (thanks!) and I bought some cycle cat frame sliders and clip ons....... I'll be fixing the tank later..... as long as it holds my gasoline... i'll be ok =)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you guys give me any info on what it cost you to repair?

I was in full gear at the time. Tour Master Jacket and Pants and Sidi Boots. Since I landed in soft dirt and grass, I had no gear damage.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like they say....it's not if you go down...It's whan you go down....
Get back on that puppy ASAP!

S

·
0 Posts
How do you do a poll? I am curious as to what percantage of people here have crashed there bikes. And how many miles did they get before they did. I am almost 2k miles and no crash yet. But everyone says it's coming...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I didn't have a real crash (tip overs don't count) for about 50,000 miles. Since then, I've had about 8 or so, 2 on the same day (trying to keep pace with my son on fire roads), most of them not very serious. I've got about 2000,000 miles now, I walk with a limp, have arthritis in my back from multiple breaks, can't straighten my right arm.......... oh well, I still like to ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts