Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several posts here that seem to indicate using the rear brake on a Monster is not the best thing to do. Can anyone tell me why/ I agree there is very little stopping power there but what's the deal?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
If you get on your rear brake too hard you will lock up your rear wheel, not fun. I use it in an emergency stop, but I'm used to riding out a slide from mt. biking. I can definitely see how locking up the rear wheel would frek somone out who had never done it...

Z

·
0 Posts
I always both the front and the rear when braking.
No matter what anyone tells you, using both brakes effectively will slow you down better than just using the front alone (learned that in MSF class).
When I'm coming to a slow crawl (less than 10mph), I let go of the front and use only the rear to come to a complete stop.
Since the rear brake is less powerful, stops are not as "jerky" and much smoother than using the front alone.
Besides, it's there for a reason - might as well use it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I always use both brakes also. Monster back brakes are so weak I have hit mine pretty hard and never felt like I was close to locking the rear tire.
I agree zeus, using both slows you quicker.
Guess it's a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
absolutely... on anything... using all the brakes is going to slow you down fastest. And if you just panic and mash the front brake, you could wind up with a stoppie you weren't planning

B

·
0 Posts
I alway's use the rear brake. It does not have a lot of stopping power, i don't think it's even possible to lock up the back wheel with stock Ducati brakes. I get a much more controled stop and it keeps my hand free to goose it just in case the jerk**s behind decides he didn't see my taillight.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
If you on a dirt road like I do (or ride on one), you should be good friends with your rear brake. The front tends to just wash out on loose soil.

On nice clean streets it doesn't do much for me...

--Fillmore

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have locked up my rear more times than I can count, but it is in hard brakin situations, not normal breaking. At first it would scare me, now I laugh when it scares the car drivers around me.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I use both brakes. But Ducati rear brakes are just about effective as their fuel guages/lights. ;)

After riding the Duc and then switching to my Laverda, I have SERIOUSLY locked and slid the rear on the Laverda. The rear brake actually works on it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
What's a rear brake?
Norm,
I think thats the peddle on the other side from teh shifter. You know, the one you rest your foot on at lights sometimes when on a big hill.

I tend not to use the rear unless I want to slide the rear or when sitting at lights. I sometimes use it when creeping in traffic. But only if I just got off a long trip and my hands are cramped.
90% of you braking power is in that front brake. The rear is more likely to lock up then stop you. And if the nose is diving under heavy braking already, the rear is super light so its even more likely to lock up. Now your rear can go where it pleases. It is not planted. If you were to of left the rear alone, it would still have traction and the rear would hold its position. Making a front lock much less likely a crash situation. Giving you better over all control.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I don't even put a rear brake on my sportbikes. I just don't see the point.

Y

·
0 Posts
Unless it was raining I never used the rear brake on my previous bike (91 Ninja 600). I used to live in Mexico so I had plenty of emergency situations to respond to. I have just recently gotten my first Ducati (sweeet!) and I have found that I use the rear brake much more often. Reasons I use the rear brake on the Monster: 1) Seems to 'set' the rear of the bike so the bike is settled more coming up to lights/stop signs. 2) Maybe I'm just a little rusty on the bikes these days and I get confort out of the rear bike even though that voice in my head says "steer around....not the rear break!"

S

·
0 Posts
I use the rear brake.

Very very lightly!!!

It keeps the rear end from passing the front end during hard braking.

I also use the rear as a "Light controll" where engine braking is concerned.

For some reason Monster rear brakes are less like a rheostat and more like a breaker switch and the "Feel in between" is difficult.

Matching effort front and rear without producing skidmarks from the rear is a obvious chalenge, but the thing is there to be used.

Use it!
Get to know it, get comfy with it, learn the damn thing.
If nothing else the drag it provides reduces the effect of the front locking up when off center and allows time to modulate the front.

Two things going on at once is a challenge when both are equally important to controll, but time spent "Feeling both" creates the situation that a "Sense" is borne".

It might only be 10% but that 10% represents a whole shitload of controll when it is distilled into fractions of a moment.
Give it time and practice and it becomes second nature so you can have CONTROL of that 10%.

I ain't giving up 10% for anybody.
I might need it for too many reasons.

That 10% might just make 100% difference.

Just wish the rear brake was more progressive and had better "Feedback" at the pedal.

Ahhh.... the price of love! [smiley=wink.gif]

Seriously, it's bolted on. Learn it, use it, or it's dead weight.

All the best!
S-28

D

·
0 Posts
I just wish the rear brake actualdy did something on a Ducati. On my Guzi I could have a great time locking the rear wheel into a corner and powersliding back out...........
One other thing it is good for is when you are completely over commited half way round a long corner when it typicaly starts to tighten up and your running out of road (on your side) tap it lightly and the bike will spring back up, it will howevr want to go straight through the corner, but at least it will be more upright and give you a chance to correct yourself. If you hit the front to scrub of some speed it will inevitably tuck under you.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Last time I used it in a uphill parking lot, I found it doesn't even work. Neglected !!!

P

·
0 Posts
I use the rear all the time, I think the lack of power makes it a perfect trail braking tool, light braking on corner entrance smooths the transition from braking to rollong on the throttle. My 750 is still geared high, and its cold blooded so in situations where the surging power causes "pucker moments" ie. slow to med speed turns where I suddenly find sand or gravel left over from salt trucks, gentle rear brake use smooths out the power and prevents slides.

Out of habit I allways use both brakes when braking hard too.

T

·
0 Posts
Using the rear brake on a Ducati is very similar to masturbation - you don't quite get the full effect

M

·
0 Posts
occasionaly i use the rear brake,but not much,front brakes are more controlable than the rear.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts