Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered this unpainted and here is how it came. My question is - should that endention be there? It is off center and out of place, it seems to serve no puropse.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Nobody replied yet, even after 5 looks?

Yes that fender is right. That groove is for the brake line crossing over from right to left caliper. You can also see where the clip is s'posed to screw in to hold the line in place.

I got a SuperSport for my Monster as it does not have that groove.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a SBK fender and at first I thought the groove would bug me, but it really isn't that noticable once installed.
Mine was used and came with the brakeline clip still installed . I removed the clip and plugged the hole. I also radiused the rear corners of the fender( using a quarter as a template) because I didn't like the sharp angle look.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I only mounted it in October so I couldn't find much in my photo archive. Here's the best shot I have on file at the moment: It's the foreground bike. The Charles Atlas guy in the background is T33 (in case you really wanted to know).

Note that it's a '99. It's a bit of a challenge to find the right fender for that model, but the BCM magic attic delivered!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
OK. That pic is pretty worthless so I ran out to the barn to snap some more:

I didn't like it when I first put it on (it's on to protect the forks), but it's grown on me.

Note the yellow stripe on the fender along the fork tube: it's 3M reflective tape. It's red; almost invisible in daylight, just shows up at night and under photo flash. I did that when I pulled the stock reflectors.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Any suggestions on filling it? Maybe bondo or something?
Since this is the "spend every nickel you have on your Monster list," I feel obliged to inform you of the proper way to deal with that groove:

Have new Kevlar brake lines made up in the SBK crossover configuration. Then you'll be really bada$$ and the groove will be put to good use! ;D

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already spent every penny I got if you count the paint that is soon to come. Thanks for the advice though. I'll check it out ;D

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I can't understand what you people don't like about the stock front fender. The stock fender makes the front end look light, and it complements the lines of the bike. The other front fender makes the front end look heavy and looks like it doesn't belong there.

Is this just another way to make your bike look "different", or is there some other reason to put one of those on a Monster?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I agree with your aesthetic assessment Scott. The stock fender is the right one.

But, I've been cautioned extensively that the fork sliders WILL get nicked, the seals WILL become impossible to maintain and the very difficult to find adjustable Showas will become toast if I don't protect the sliders with a sport-style fender.

So I spent $50 on a used fender to protect my forks from irreparable harm.

I've learned to live with the aesthetics, but I do have the stocker in a box if I want to dandy the bike up for some event or other.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I do agree that the SBK style fender is a little heavy looking, But it really does keep crap off the tubes. I also got some practice on painting "Dark" with easily obtained ,inexpensive paint and clear.
And I needed a project.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just don't like the gap on the sides of the front fender, that is why I decided to go with the sbk. Yeah it is also the fact that it is a little different than stock. I don't see tons of bikes with it, some though. I'll post a picture when I get the body work painted - probably a month or so.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Yeah, I think the SBK unit looks better than the SS one I have. It's got a bit of an edge to it whereas the SS unit is very rounded.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
There used to be a Ducati Performance Monster fender that was a good compromise between the SBK and the SS look, I've only seen it on eBay:

Or is this just like the SS...anyone has the catalog?

I personally think the stock fender rivals the goofy tail and mirrors. Not entirely happy with the SBK one but think it's better.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think that's the fender off the SS.

M

·
0 Posts
don, i presume that race tech sticker on your forks is there for more than just looks. how do you like the way they work? does it get rid of the jolting/ jarring of the stock valving? also noticed an after market suspension hoop . which one is it? looks like a rizoma, how did that work out? oh yea, while i respect those who go for the sbk fender i prefer the lite airy stocker.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I got valved and re-sprung back in October. This is Mass, so I haven't had that much time on them. I have to admit that the first thing I noticed was MORE high frequency slammin'. But when I paid more attention, I decided it was really coming from the rear. This is something another Monster owner had warned me of. When I mentioned my Race Tech plans, he said "yeah, that works great, but then you realize how bad the rear sucks!" He had an Ohlins in back. That's next on my list.

As I said, it's not all sorted yet. What I did get was more travel with the stiffer spring. I had the preload maxed with the stock springs to get sag acceptable. I now have no preload. So I've definately noticed that. The valving, I'm still working on and fixing the rear may be a part of it.

As for the suspension loop; it's Rizoma, and it was an unqualified success from the first moment! The bike was transformed. It's significantly quicker in the transitions. I REALLY like it. It's a piece of Aluminum sculpture too. I'm sure I could have gotten the same geometry by backing the Heims out, but I wouldn't have gotten the aesthetics!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can't understand what you people don't like about the stock front fender. .......Is this just another way to make your bike look "different", or is there some other reason to put one of those on a Monster?
If you want to stick on the Michelin tyre man just like the race bikes then you have no choice.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts