Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new, opened but unused Termi kit. The contents were unwrapped for the sake of photos for the seller's ad. I find it odd that the DP race ECU doesn't have a corresponding part number labeled on it. The box is clearly labeled P/N 96516105B which is correct but the ECU doesn't really have squat for a P/N. Can anybody confirm that this really is the correct unit or did the seller keep the race ECU and give me his OEM unit? :eek:
Thank you gentlemen (and ladies).

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
When you install the ECU and turn the ignition on the display will say "Ducati Racing" if it really is a Termi DP ECU. I'd recommend having a dealer install the ECU and program the ECU when the bike is on a dyno. That's one of the advantages to the DP ECU -- it's programmable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, my intention is to have my dealer run it through the paces on the dyno....but before I get that far, can anyone confirm any visual cues that this is the correct piece that belongs in the box pictured?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, my intention is to have my dealer run it through the paces on the dyno....but before I get that far, can anyone confirm any visual cues that this is the correct piece that belongs in the box pictured?
It should have a part number on it same as your stock. Other than that, they look identical on the outside.

Like he said, you'll know for sure when you plug it up as it will scroll M696 or M1100 Racing on the display.

EDIT:
I guess I shouldn't assume... I see now from the picture it's not for a M696 or M1100, so I have no idea!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Like he said, you'll know for sure when you plug it up as it will scroll M696 or M1100 Racing on the display.
Do you know if this is the case for other models? I have an S2R1000 and a DP ECU (supposedly), will a message display on the screen below the dials?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you're meaning the display on the tech's monitor, mine isn't going to scroll anything as it's an '06 S2R and doesn't have digital gauges. The deal is, I don't want to install the exhaust and airbox, ride it to the dealership for the ECU tweak, find out it's the wrong ECU and then have a lot less leverage to return the kit. Thought there might have been some Duc techs on here that have looked at enough of these things to know if the labeling made sense...as that's the only distinguishing factor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Tekneek,

Just wondering how you made out with your Termi kit and the install?
I just had a Termi kit sent to me for my 06 s2r1000 from Desmoporsche.
The DP ECU has the correct Part# but no Ducati sticker. I am a bit ingorant when it comes to this tech stuff so I just want to see if you have any tips after your reasearch.
I wonder if they sent me something used or reprogramed. Like I said I realy do not understand a lot of it...flashed, virgin ECU, etc.
Would the ECU look different if the kit came right from Ducati? I know it would have cost a lot more.
I am having it installed at the dealer. Any questions I should ask them with respect to making sure they set it up properly.
I hope the bike runs well after.
Thanks, Frank.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greetings,

In respect to your ECU, I'd have to imagine it would be labeled kinda similar to mine. Perhaps someone with your exact kit can chime in.

I took my DP ECU (the unlabeled one) to my dealer and the techs there confirmed that it was indeed a DP ECU just looking at it from doing so many of them. They said the ECU's from my particular Termi kit do NOT have a part number on them but my labeling was correct. While that eased my mind, I still never used it. My bike was running cored cans and stock air filter/ecu before and it ran like a top and got 55-60 mpg. The techs assured me my gas mileage would come down substantially with the open air filter/DP ECU install. This is an everyday commuter bike for me and taking advantage of fuel savings is one of the reasons I ride. So I mounted the slip-ons at the house and tried it out. My bike runs absolutely perfect, stays cool and the plugs look great with just the Termi cans. And my mileage remained intact so I never felt the need to install the rest of the kit. Sitting in the garage in the box. Maybe someday. Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy your upgrade.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am aware that I will get worse milage but that doesn't concern me too much. My bike was diagnosed with a bad ECU after I crossed the battery terminals while boosting it. It still runs fine and all works except the start button. It's a pain to bridge a wire everytime to the starter to start it so I decided to put in a new ECU. The only reason I decided to go with the Termi kit is cuz I would get the ECU and also a cool new look and sound.
I hope that when I get the kit installed that it solves the problem and it runs well.
Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My 09 Monster 696 Dark had the Racing Kit installed at the dealer. The LCD reads M 696 RACING as it scrolls by. I believe it said DUCATI MONSTER 696 with the standard ECU. I was pretty sure it said DUCATI. After the dealer swapped the ECU, it just now reads M 696 RACING

No one could answer me on what differences are found in the racing ECU or racing air filter. The "racing" Termi CF mufflers w/ the dB killer baffles removed are LOUD! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
First off I am not a Techie or a Dealer. The one thing I can see on the ECU is an abbreviation on the left lower corner where is says TS1000. My thought is that this could mean TWIN SPARK 1000 cc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts