Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday past i had a misfortune of being pulled over by Palisades Parkway Finest ( :police: )
my cluster being totally unreadable due to fogging/condensation and what-not and on top of it the freezing T of that morning made it look nice-n-frosty.. anyway,
i got 2 tickets one for speeding, one for reckless driving - considering the actual speed i was traveling at. Now i realized i was going faster than posted 50mph,
but since more or less i was going along with traffic, frozen out of my mind and with illegible speedometer the speed i traveled with was not a priority at the time..
well, as fate would have it ... it should have been..

now all that is fine-n-dandy and as we all know - that is the way system makes bank, .. what APPALLED me is that 2 (two!) days later i have received 5 (five!) proposals from different lawyers stating the exact circumstance of my case and imposing all kinds of measures of fear for me to enlist their services so i can get off clean or somewhat along those lines.

i ask you dear folks IS THIS LEGAL?! forget ethical, moral, respectful to my privacy etc. but is this legal for the rotten traffic court system to release (or solicit) this personal info, and is this legal for all the hound dog lawyers to bluntly infringe on my privacy and solicit their extortion services?!!!

i apologize for the negative nature of this post, but i m truly disgusted and loosing faith in our society :'( , so please dear fellow monstah-lovers in-put!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
It's called barratry. It's merely unethical, not illegal. Police reports are public information, and that's where they got your info.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NJ.. have to go to court tomorrow. my license is NY, will the points/record transfer from NJ to NY?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I think it is a grey area right now. My lawyer told me Palisades tickets don't go to NY as long as you pay them, but do some checking yourself because you are in deep doodoo. Even if NY and your insurance companies don't find out about the tickets you do stand the risk of loosing your privilege to operate a motor vehicle in NJ. I would ask for a postponement tomorrow unless they offer you one hell of a plea bargain. You also want a lawyer. Here is a good source:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=68476.25

Good luck and do keep us posted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
le_katz.

Sorry about your troubles. I just wanted to chime in and say, no a speeding ticket does transfer over to NY. You can read that on the DMV website. http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#tickets

Yet your insurance might get all messed up. That might be a reason to get a lawyer, plus what howie said about privileges of driving in NJ.

Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the verdict

carless driving dismissed, speed reduced to 70 in 50, all driving privileges intact, total cost $200.
no hound dogs involved. boy have i learned my lesson this time.

btw, i'm still getting those, i must say quite entertaining letters from the afformentioned.

will keep me fingers crossed on the insuarance.

thank you all

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Sounds like you got off reasonably ok, even if the points transfer. Might be worth the ERC if it offers reduction. I bet each guy who sent you a letter thought he was pretty slick, but that move is played out.

REDUCED to 70 in a 50? [laugh]

I'll hit you offline.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts