Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it common for Ducati dealers not to stock consumable items for the bikes they sale? My dealer doesn't stock tires and brake pads for the bikes they sale I find this to be strange.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Been a complaint of mine for years. Last time I went into my local shop they had one set of Monster brake pads... which don't do a hell of a lot of good with dual rotors.

I've just gotten used to it, and order any maintenance parts in advance of when I actually need them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been a complaint of mine for years. Last time I went into my local shop they had one set of Monster brake pads... which don't do a hell of a lot of good with dual rotors.

I've just gotten used to it, and order any maintenance parts in advance of when I actually need them.
Yeah and why doesn't Ducati have a US warehouse with parts? All the parts have to come from Italy. My buddy with a KTM can get parts next day because KTM has two warehouses in the US.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Anything you want you can get overnight, tires, brakes, just about anything.

I get my brake pads aftermarket, cheaper and better than stock, (Vesrah race pads). Tires are easy, I would never pay a dealer for tire change, I'm sure there are independants near you that would be half the price of labor., and ordering the tires on line should also be quite a bit cheaper that full retail from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Anything you want you can get overnight, tires, brakes, just about anything.

I get my brake pads aftermarket, cheaper and better than stock, (Vesrah race pads). Tires are easy, I would never pay a dealer for tire change, I'm sure there are independants near you that would be half the price of labor., and ordering the tires on line should also be quite a bit cheaper that full retail from a dealer.
Talk to me when they start carrying timing belts. For basic consumables, yeah I usually go to an independent too. But when something fairly common fails and it's Duc specific, you're up the creek around here.

·
Registered
663 Posts
But when something fairly common fails and it's Duc specific, you're up the creek around here.
Still, depends on how bad you want to get back on the road. I had that issue when my VR failed, and everyone local had "just" installed their last one. Everyone offered to order me one, and said the wait was 7-10 days.

I went national, called the 5 largest dealers in the US, found 2 that had one in hand, and had one shipped overnight. OK, maybe cost a few more dollars for overnight shipping, but I was willing to pay the price to not lose riding days.

It would be great if every dealer kept a stock on hand of the parts we need, but the reality is that they try, and if someone just beat you in the door, you are SOL. The dealer would have to carry multiple's and frankly, they can't afford to tie up tons of money "just in case".

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I mean I get it, they can't stock everything or their inventory would be friggin absurd. But how expensive would it be to stock two sets of belts, common bolts that need replacement (I needed two seat cowl thumbscrews, they had one), and basic consumables? I'm not looking for a head for a '94 Supersport, I'm looking for brake pads for a '07 Monster.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It depends what it is for..For warranty repairs some dealers may make you wait even if they have the item in stock. Also not maintaining inventory on hand means less investment in stock, and more investment in the bikes. Once you buy a Duc, the company knows that you are out of options on where to get stuff from and therefore you will wait if needed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
air freight is cheap

Yeah and why doesn't Ducati have a US warehouse with parts? All the parts have to come from Italy. My buddy with a KTM can get parts next day because KTM has two warehouses in the US.
Ducati produces only about 35,000 bikes a year. There's not enough volume to justify a North American warehouse especially when airfreight is cheap. Think its that expensive to get your carbon bits flown over from Bologna? ;D

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
It depends what it is for..For warranty repairs some dealers may make you wait even if they have the item in stock. Also not maintaining inventory on hand means less investment in stock, and more investment in the bikes. Once you buy a Duc, the company knows that you are out of options on where to get stuff from and therefore you will wait if needed.
That's a pretty cavalier attitude to take towards their customers. My only real complaint about Ducati ownership has been exactly this issue, though -- how long it takes to get parts. Two or three weeks is common, and there's no good excuse for that.

And when my kickstand plate broke, it took *five months* for that part to come in. And that wasn't the dealer's fault; they bent over backwards to keep me on the road. They welded my old one back together for free twice, without charge, and eventually the shop owner actually machined me a part, again for free.

I am aware that, as a daily transportation rider, I am unusual among Ducati's customers in the U.S. The vast majority of Ducs here are toys, and going without it while waiting for parts is annoying but not really important for most people. But it's still a crappy way to treat your customers, and there's no good excuse.

Right now, my bike needs work, and I need to get to work. Plus the MotoGP at Indy is three weeks away and I have tickets and camping passes and a lap of the track and all of that. And if my trip gets fuxored because parts take forever to arrive, I will be pissed.

When people ask me about buying a Duc, and they often do, that's the one thing I tell them they will have to deal with, is that parts are slow to arrive.

PhilB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts