Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed recently that "i think" my clutch is slipping. When i get on the throttle hard, and change gears (usualy to 4th) i noticed that when i let go of the clutch, my rmps shoot up but the bike isn't going any where, it then seems to catch and the bike goes? But only when on the throttle hard, and usualy 4th, some times 3rd.

Is this my clutch sliping, what causes this? how can i tell and what would be a fix for this. It's getting almost time to put the bike away here, and i'm almost due for my 6k service, i may just have it looked at then ? But if i could do some thing to save me some coin that would be better

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Yes it is slipping. Worn or glazed plates, weak springs, or insufficient free play at the lever are possible causes. Year and engine size would be helpfull.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Sounds like it's slipping. The traditional method for determining if it is slipping is to find a nice stretch of long highway with an uphill grade and accelerate hard in your highest gear. This puts a lot of force on the clutch so if it's going to slip, it will slip then.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sounds like slipping but 6k miles is far too soon to have worn out your clutch plates! :eek:
You also shouldn't have weak springs yet. Glazed plates from excessive slipping are possible.

Clutch lever free play? On a hydraulic clutch? ??? There's no cable slack to adjust there.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
CRASH! said:
Sounds like slipping but 6k miles is far too soon to have worn out your clutch plates! :eek:
You also shouldn't have weak springs yet. Glazed plates from excessive slipping are possible.

Clutch lever free play? On a hydraulic clutch? ??? There's no cable slack to adjust there.
True, but if someone messed with the bleed adjustment screw it would do the same thing.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ducpainter said:
True, but if someone messed with the bleed adjustment screw it would do the same thing.
That is the adjustment I was talking about.

CRASH! said:

There were more than a few prematurely slipping cluches on the 620's. The springs are notably lighter than the ones on a 750 when new, which might be a partial cause. There is a spec for spring length. If the springs are too short or not square they are shot.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I happen to be reading this thread and was wondering if you gents could elaborate on this bleed screw. I assume that it's the slotted screw that threads right into the pivot side of the brake and/or clutch levers. I have adjusted this for "freeplay" preference. I'm not screwing up anything am I ?. thanks, Harry

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
MichMonsterS4 said:
I happen to be reading this thread and was wondering if you gents could elaborate on this bleed screw. I assume that it's the slotted screw that threads right into the pivot side of the brake and/or clutch levers. I have adjusted this for "freeplay" preference. I'm not screwing up anything am I ?. thanks, Harry
if you haven't had any issues for a while, I doubt you did,
but there's a danger in blocking the hole to the reservoir if you adjust the screw in too much not allowing any fluid to go back into the reservoir. When the clutch (can also happen on the brakes) fluid starts to heat up, the fluid has nowhere to go but down into the piston of the slave cylinder and the clutch starts to disengage (or if on the brakes, the brakes start to ENGAGE and not let go :eek:)

when you're adjusting the screw, just pump the lever a couple of times and make sure fluid goes back into the reservoir...

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Out of curiosity, what kind of oil are you using? I have a friend that used car specific oil in his motorcycle with a wet clutch and had the same problem.

·
Registered
517 Posts
hiero said:
when you're adjusting the screw, just pump the lever a couple of times and make sure fluid goes back into the reservoir...
to add to hiero's post (just in case you don't know), GENTLY pump the lever a few times if you have the reservoir cap off! you'll be able to see a little fluid squirting up in the coffin before the master cylinder piston closes off the hole to the cylinder.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I"m not using car oil for sure, but i probaly could be using better oil. I'm using Castrol 4 strocke some thing or other (not semi or synth ) but meant for mc. Maybe i'll try swapping the oil first and see if that makes a difference ???

So if indeed my clutch is slipping is it better to upgrade to a new one? or rebuild it ? What are the associated costs with each ?

cheers

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
thanks all for your input [thumbsup]. I'm a certified auto tech, but this Board is teaching me a lot more about cycle mechanics !.
Harry

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
i think i am having the same problem, but on my 00 750...with 36,000 miles. i am not sure when the clutch was last checked or when parts were replaced. i do know that the previous owner of the previous 25,000 miles took good care of the bike though. lately, it seems that there has been some of the same slipping, but not real significant, and possibly a chatter when i let off the gas at slow speeds. the chatter i noticed in the last hundred miles or so. where do i start? i plan on doing the work myself. thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts