Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming it is. This guy sent me an email like this.. pretty sure its a scam.. the only thing that boggled me was that it was a seller on craigslist.. anyone ever run into this buysafe program?

"Hi,
There are 6400 miles on it, the bike is in great condition with only minor blemishes, never dropped. It has clear title and the price I will sell it for is $2,700.00, which includes the shipping's taxes and the insurance.
I live in Colorado Springs but currently I am with work in United Kingdom ( London ) for the next approximately 5 months, but I am using BuySafe services so I can sell the bike without any difficulty.
I left the bike in their custody in US before leaving overseas. They will take care of the shipping. Also there's a 14 days return policy included.
So if you want to purchase it, please let me know and I will explain you how BuySafe works and how we can proceed.
I am waiting your email.
Best Regards"

god.. am bummed.. been searching wayyy too long to get this stuff again.. :(

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
if you have to ask...

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Ya know, there are quite a few DMLer's in the Springs. I'm sure if you asked nicely (in the http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?board=10.0) one of them would be happy to go look at the bike for you. ;) Besides, one of Coloradoans may even know the bike in question.

edit: Just saw that the bike is in VA now. Post up the link to the Craigslist ad, one of us may still recognize the bike.

Tanya

·
Registered
132 Posts
It smells fishy to me. Go ahead an investigate it further, but be extremely weary. If at any point you find yourself taking a risk, STOP!

-Danimal

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Oh please, give me a break. That's a scam and you all know it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am not familiar with this company with payments, and i know it is not the same, but I am 100% positive that you should NEVER accept money orders, especially from someone outside the country. Very common scam. Another good way to spot it is if the sentences are written in bad English.

People were pulling these scams with Xbox / PS3's and such. You send them the money order, and they never send the product, and since it is international, YOU are then liable for the money order from the bank. So you not only paid for product you never received, but you also pay twice!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is potential for scammage here. If at some point you will be asked to submit financial info and they send you a link to a page where you are expected to fill in your account info, it may look legit (using the same pics, format of a legitimate site/service), but it could be a phisher's site. The old switcheroo. I would be very wary if the form is not encrypted (it is not https://) or if the form has an IP address instead of a domain name (something like http://191.6.78.2/directory/form as opposed to http://reallysafesite.com/directory/form) What kind of bike is this?

G

·
I'm about 90% certain it's a scam. They basically pull a switcheroo on the escrow service (as d00d says)

Still, on the 10% chance it's legit, get someone to check out the bike. That's a good enough deal to make the effort.

My dos centavos.

·
Registered
333 Posts
too good a deal (includes shipping and taxes?) + overseas + bad english = scam would be my bet

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Tell him you'll buy it but to get the money out of your account you need to pay an administrative fee of $100 and if he would be so kind as to send that to you via Western Union, you can send him the payment in full.

·
Registered
175 Posts
any purchase overseas is not guaranteed by anything, avoid it like the HIV!!!
i see this crap all the time.
anytime they have to tell you it's totally safe...it's not.

tell him you have a cashiers check for 2000 more than his asking price and if he can deposit it and send you the remaining money back he can keep an extra 500. see if he responds ;)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Why are there so many people here who actually believe they can buy a 999 for less than 3K from an overseas supplier who only accepts money orders? *slaps self* ::)

Let's put this in perspective - It costs 1500$+ just to ship a bike overseas.
The 999 would be worth more than 3K even if it was crushed into a 2 foot cube.
Repeat after me: money orders and Western Union payments are always scams.
Repeat again: if it is too good to be true, then it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts