Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my front tire. I borrowed my neighbor's stand for the rear but he has no stand for the front. Are there any cheater-tricks to raise the front, remove the wheel and keep the bike safely upright in my garage while my local shop mounts the new rubber?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Is there a trick for tire changing w/out a sta

I saw SpeedDog's method but I don't have a floor-jack nor jack-stands. Scott Nelson, you got a stand?

·
Premium Member
51 Posts

I've always catered to the ratchetstrap-to-eyebolt-in-ceiling method.

·
Registered
796 Posts

Well, I built a stand out of 3/4" plywood (for the base) and 4x4s that I could set the bottom of the forks on, but...
YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFULL!! this is very unstable, I put the axle back through the forks to keep the legs from twisting after I pulled the wheel. I also used a cinderblock on each side of the bike in case it wanted to fall over. This was a VERY sketchy way to leave the bike. I wouldnt even open the garage cause I was afraid a breeze would blow it over. It took me about 15min. to make my little stand and I got my new front rotors on but it was scary.

G

·

where you located ? pleasanton ? let me know if you are...i got spare stands

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

S4,

You are kind to offer. I'm in Danville. You?

One other question for all readers: do you loosen both pinch-bolts on both fork legs before removing the axle? It seems like the axle-housing on the left-side that is threaded just spins in place. What diameter allen is required to remove the axle? I'm sure it's in the tool-kit...NOT.

·
Registered
796 Posts

I loosened both sides. Here is the cheap way to get axle bolts off, Find a bolt whose head fits the allen hole inside the axle. I use a 1 inch bolt, then I thread on 3 nuts I line 1st nut up with the bolt head and slide them both into the axle. Then you can use the middle nut and a wrench to unscrew the axle. It will lock out against the end nut. Be sure to get a high strength bolt so it wont twist off or strip.
Total cost= about $1.50
Cost of buying the giant allen key= about $15

·
Premium Member
186 Posts

I use a chain hoist myself. I use towels to prevent scratching. Only other thing you gotta deal with is the swinging around bit. That's relatively easy to deal with though. Couple of weighted bags will work or you can tie it off to a pole or something...

Uncle_Duck

G

·

jsut come over to my place. I'll do it for you, or at least show you and let you use my stands. Go down the the cycle gear down the stree and get the new tire mounted. Come back, and I'll have you on your way lol

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

S4,

You are kind to offer. I'm in Danville. You?

One other question for all readers: do you loosen both pinch-bolts on both fork legs before removing the axle? It seems like the axle-housing on the left-side that is threaded just spins in place. What diameter allen is required to remove the axle? I'm sure it's in the tool-kit...NOT.

you only need to loosen the RIGHT side... (was mentioned to me at Aftershocks while I was viewing the work they were doing on the front forks on my bike).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks, Daffe, that seemed to be the way to go based on my observations as well. I'm going to S4's house on Saturday for wrenching!

·
Registered
668 Posts

to prevent the later tank slappers,
first work,
then beer .....

:p

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Okay. got it done using the "tie-down strap to the garage ceiling" method of Hinkle-E.

G

·

awe....I have that tool tool you hsould have just asked lol

oh well, you have it for hte enxt guy. You really should have torqued it down while the bike was on the floor.

anyhow, if you need front or rear stands let me know. I am planning on buying a fork lift adpater for my pitbull so we can take forks off next and get them worked on !!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts

Can't resist a request for "cheater" tips or old biker tricks. Back when the dinosaurs ruled the earth and we did this stuff on dirt floor garages or in the yard.... [insert dreamy music indicating a flashback scene]

Put the bike on the side stand. Put a 4X4 under the right side. Stand the bike up and lean it to the right a little. The Bike will sit on the board and raise the left side a little higher. Put a 4X4 and a 2X4 under the left side. Lean the bike to the left...

Keep going untul the bike is supported from underneath by the wood and the wheels are suspended. 4-8 inches under the bike will do it. Make sure the same # of boards are under each side so it will be level. The bike will be stable from side to side. Tie down the bike so it does not rock back to front when you take the wheel off.

You can do this yourself if you are coordinated and have a bike that you can reach under. An assistant is a plus.

To get it down, reverse the process.

...[wavy lines and music]

Or just borrow a stand.

Doc
who learned this helping a guy with a Panhead

1 - 16 of 16 Posts